Files for Hidden Tang Knives

opaul

I have a pretty good set of hand files for filing the shoulders of the blade. What files do you guys suggest for shaping the bolster opening? What do you use and where did you get them.
Thanks

Files have become another victim of "cheap manufacturing"...... There was a time when all I would recommend were Nicholson files, but they are becoming hit-n-miss...... even Nicholson has caved to the cheaper manufacturing gig. I've purchase several Nicholson files over the past year, and noticed that some are "made in USA", and others are marked as Made in XXXXXX (various other locations). Those made in the US seem to be the "good" ones, and those with other markings are very obviously of much lower quality.

OK, that being said, I've been using these files for a while now: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Multi-Purpose-File-Set-10-Piece-H10PCFS/206313272

The reason is because I've become frustrated with the "cheapness" of files, and this set is "lifetime warranty"... even if they wear out. I purchased two sets, and am currently on set #s 12-13 from returning them under warranty. This set contains most of the files you will need for fitting various type/styles of guards. I also have several smaller square files, that are 5/32" square or smaller.... these are essential for me when it comes to slotted guards, and are often used with hidden tang guards. These are sometimes difficult to find, and I've picked mine up when/where I can locate them.

Files have become another victim of "cheap manufacturing"...... There was a time when all I would recommend were Nicholson files, but they are becoming hit-n-miss...... even Nicholson has caved to the cheaper manufacturing gig. I've purchase several Nicholson files over the past year, and noticed that some are "made in USA", and others are marked as Made in XXXXXX (various other locations). Those made in the US seem to be the "good" ones, and those with other markings are very obviously of much lower quality.

OK, that being said, I've been using these files for a while now: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Multi-Purpose-File-Set-10-Piece-H10PCFS/206313272

The reason is because I've become frustrated with the "cheapness" of files, and this set is "lifetime warranty"... even if they wear out. I purchased two sets, and am currently on set #s 12-13 from returning them under warranty. This set contains most of the files you will need for fitting various type/styles of guards. I also have several smaller square files, that are 5/32" square or smaller.... these are essential for me when it comes to slotted guards, and are often used with hidden tang guards. These are sometimes difficult to find, and I've picked mine up when/where I can locate them.

Thanks Ed. I just got a set from Homedepot and got this deal on a 5/32" machinist file. I paid a whopping $4 for it with free shipping with my prime membership and Whole Foods discount.
PFERD 11081 American Pattern Machinist Square File, Bastard Cut, 4" Length x 5/32" Width

I've mostly taken the cheap square files and ground them down thinner, which also produces your safe side to work on the hole in guards. Actually, I have a couple of Harbor Freight files that have stood up quite well. I've got a bunch of higher quality files too, but just can't stand to grind them down.

Back