Filet O Thumb

will you post a pic of the completed project? I am intrigued!
Jon, I'll do that. Originally when I made the blade I got side tracked making a gunstock war club and then another type of club in the attached photos. The extra blade in the second photo is the same one in the thumb shot.

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 15
Jon, I'll do that. Originally when I made the blade I got side tracked making a gunstock war club and then another type of club in the attached photos. The extra blade in the second photo is the same one in the thumb shot.
I really like that! the forge finish on those is very nice!!!

Peter, does this make us "Numb Thumb Brother's"? I remember you telling me about your incident. I bet you weren't the first fisherman to do that sort of thing.

Today is the 4th week after my accident. The flesh on the back of the thumb is healed up now but the other side will probably take a couple more weeks for the skin to close up completely. As you can see I added a photo staring my thumb, the most expensive piece of hickory on earth, and the blade I am planing on using. The older I get the more of a left hander I have become.

I like the Numb Thumb Brothers. Let's go with it.

That looks like it was a pretty nasty accident! Glad you were able to keep the thumb! Will you still have full motion with it once it heals? I can't bend my thumb as far any more. A lot of my lasting issues from the unjust are because I stayed and worked for five more weeks after the accident so I dnd't see a doctor for a while... The doc was less than pleased when I finally did get in to see him...

Little over 2 months since my accident. The old thumb is what it is. I did get back to work on the blade I had started working on before the accident. Changed my mind about using it as a knife blade and went with what I intended it to be used for. Grabbed the old osic that hangs out in my shop and used it as a rough pattern for the hickory handle. Lot's of waisted time in the making of the "Bird". First time I ever did any art work like this since the 1st grade. I think that was finger painting. The handle is 18" and the blade around 7". The blade was forged from a piece of truck leaf spring that Wayne Goddard had given me.

Attachments

• IMG_6253.jpg
    IMG_6253.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6255.jpg
    IMG_6255.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6256.jpg
    IMG_6256.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
he ate a rifle bullet at damn near point blank range
One shot? Did you make a coon skin hat out of it? What did you do with it?
It looks like something you would find on an island in the South Pacific. Very cool.
Does it have to do with the art work I did on it? It does look something like a tatoo from the South Pacific. When I was first putting it together it reminded me of the old Heckle and Jeckle cartoon birds which were supposed to be magpies.

One shot? Did you make a coon skin hat out of it? What did you do with it?

Does it have to do with the art work I did on it? It does look something like a tatoo from the South Pacific. When I was first putting it together it reminded me of the old Heckle and Jeckle cartoon birds which were supposed to be magpies.
had to leave it, can't hunt them here

No sir, for some reason I just equated that shape war club with the South Pacific but when I looked theirs look nothing like yours. The only examples I found that look like yours are clearly Native American. Some with flint blades and some with metal. I remember watching Heckle and Jeckle cartoons though...those were the good old days...

Back