filing or grinding jigs... DIY or low cost

OkieCowboy

After seeing another thread here regarding jigs..I realize..That's something I could use.. I did a quick bit of looking and seems like everyone and his brother has one for sale or makes one...
So figured I would ask the folks I trust...
What do you advise to a new guy to buy or build..to help with grinding/filing bevels and to help getting those plunge !^€*%&÷& even .
Using 1x30 belt sander with a wide choice of belts and many files..

Thanks again

I think you know the answer to that one. If you make knives your a "do it yourself" kind of guy. I hate to buy anything I can make. He is the pick of the kind I use.sanding fixture.jpg made from chunks of hard wood burl.

I set the flat on the small ledge and grind away. Sorry about the mess. I have been grinding Micarta this morning.

knife in fixture.jpg

Thank you...that has been a big help...and I just saw a big thread in the main forum.. I seldom go over there and they have a nice thread on this topic...things are gonna improve

things are gonna improve

My table in the pics is 9". I am making one that will be 15". The 9" is fine for knives up to 5" blades but it gets touchy on longer blades. I still do those by hand.

a basic one for bevels i have seen here and other forums. get a 12" piece of 2" angle. on one side make several holes to hold your blade edge parallel to the angle. on other side, drill and tap 6 or more holes evenly spaced on the length, i used M6x1.0, 1/4-20 would work too. get 6 nuts and 1" bolts that fit, screw nut almost to head. screw thru the angle evenly and set the desired angle with an angle finder while making sure you are level right/left. move the nuts down and tighten against the angle iron to keep things from moving. and of course i cant find the photos i made, but i think you get the idea.

yeah scott, just starting to make sense..I am hoping before long I will find someone with a shop that is kind enough to take me under their wing so to speak, and show me the ropes..then everything make make alot more sense
..but until then...the help everyone has given ...has been priceless

If you just want to mark your plunge lines with a grinding jig, take two pieces of cleaned and evened stock and bolt them with a 1" c-clamp to your profiled blank where you want the plunge lines. You still have to make them even to your 0.20" or zero edge, but this will get you started.

Have fun!

I also use the angle iron method. But I use a smaller piece, about 6" and use two bolts threaded into the bottom side. It works very well for me.

....find someone with a shop that is kind enough to take me under their wing so to speak, and show me the ropes....
I'd invite you to my shop, but afraid you'd be disappointed. I'm still new at this by most peoples standards and I don't have a dedicated knife only shop. You'd have to wade through woodworking stuff, old car stuff, etc too. You and I need to join that OK Knifemakers Assoc.

Here is my very simple jig. It's not pretty but it works

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417746993.394347.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417747003.029206.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sure do need to join up... Self Made Knives....then we need to meet up sometime for a cup of coffee and a whole lotta BS.. ;) and the coffee is on me

Back