Filing versus Grinding

bmills

With all things being equal, would a blade blank that was filed only, have less chance of warping than a blade that was ground? I am talking 01 steel and professionally heat treated. Thanks.

Bill

Good question. I think it may be close to equal, depending on how hot you allow a blade to get while grinding.

Besides how thin you get it , it also depends on how even you grind/file it , and how you quench it as well.

Thank you for your replies. My name is Bill and I'm close to 61 years old and just starting to get involved with this addiction. I will be using files and hand tools to start and will send out to professional heat treat if I ever make one good enough to warrant the expense. I have been reading this forum for a long time and thank everyone for helping those of us just starting. I don't have the internet at home and must do this at work so my time is limited. Thanks again. I think I will try Dutchman Stabilizers for some deer leg bone that I have prepared and Peters Heat Treating for my blades.

Bill

The most important thing to look at it symmetry in your grind. The bevels need to be as even as possible to prevent any difference in cooling. If you are sending it out for pro HT then you will probably be using air hardening tool steels IE stainless. These are not as sensitive as the simple carbon or spring steels that require a much more violent quench. Also once you are done with your stock removal it is a good idea to give in a couple of thermal cycles/normalizing. This will even out any stresses induce by metal removal.

Back