Finally Finished My First Framelock

barlowchiro

Active Member
Finished up my first framelock this past weekend. 1/8" O1 Blade acid etched and stonewashed, O1 backspacer acid etched and stonewashed. I used .160 Titanium for the handle scales, bead blasted, stonewashed, and anodized. Pocket clip is .125 Titanium, milled out, bead blasted, stonewashed and anodized. Caged ball bearings, 3/16" pivot, .020 hardened washers (so the titanium doesn't gall from the ball bearings. 1/8" stop pin with a hidden stop pin track.

Overall happy with how this one turned out, a few things that I will change for the next one. I have 5 different framelock designs that I drew up on DraftSight and can't wait to make the other 4.

Let me know what you think, I'm always open to criticism and suggestions!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7391.jpg
    IMG_7391.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7392.jpg
    IMG_7392.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7393.jpg
    IMG_7393.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7394.jpg
    IMG_7394.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7395.jpg
    IMG_7395.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Looks good. Congrats. Wish the pics were showing up better on my screen. Is the titanium blue-ish? What color are the screws? What's the grind and blade length?
 

barlowchiro

Active Member
Thank you! Blade length is 3.75". Titanium is anodized blue, I like how it turned out with the bead blast and stonewashed finish. For some reason I like a worn in/broken in look. Plus it helps with random scratches etc... from EDC. Screws are 2-56 black button head. Grind is a typical flat grind.
 

Justin Presson

Well-Known Member
Really nice job. I have only made 2 framelocks and know it is not easy so congratulations. I like the way the handle turned out. My only item that my eye is drawn to is the ricaso area. Seems the pluge could come back a bit and you can gain some cutting edge but that is pretty minor. Looks like a good user.
 

IanF

Well-Known Member
Well done!

If I were to suggest potential changes to the next one I would probably take the grind a little higher and bring the plung line back toward the handle slightly. I would also thin the flipper tab a little so it is not protruding back into the handle quite as much where your index finger would sit.

I don’t want you to think I am being critical - it really looks great and I know how much goes into these little folders.
 

barlowchiro

Active Member
Really nice job. I have only made 2 framelocks and know it is not easy so congratulations. I like the way the handle turned out. My only item that my eye is drawn to is the ricaso area. Seems the pluge could come back a bit and you can gain some cutting edge but that is pretty minor. Looks like a good user.
I agree 100%. Next time I’m gonna make the plunge line come in at an angle to match the front of the scale. That way I can bring the lower part of the plunge further back.

Thanks for the feedback!
 

barlowchiro

Active Member
Well done!

If I were to suggest potential changes to the next one I would probably take the grind a little higher and bring the plung line back toward the handle slightly. I would also thin the flipper tab a little so it is not protruding back into the handle quite as much where your index finger would sit.

I don’t want you to think I am being critical - it really looks great and I know how much goes into these little folders.
I don’t think you are being critical at all. I agree 100%. Those are things that caught my eye too and things that will be changed on the next one. I may even add a false edge to the next one too.

Thanks for the feedback!
 
Top