Finish for sheaths

Gliden07

What do you guys use for a "Top Coat" on sheaths?? I've been using Resoline to Semi-Waterproof leather. Curious, as there seems to be as many ways to Top Coat as there are ways to make a Sheath!

Resolene isn't "semi" waterproof. It is as waterproof as it gets, and it won't take any other conditioner after it's on. Mix resolene 50/50 with water.

I have done a variety of top coat combinations trying to get what I think is "right." I don't know what is right. But, I do know that if I only dye and coat with resolene, the sheath can feel "dry" and stiff. I fit my sheaths snugly, and a little flexibility or suppleness feels natural and provides some spring back that gives a positive retention that isn't too hard to jam in and out.

I use Fiebing's Golden mink oil to soften it up and get the leather looking good. It will serve as a finish that is more easily maintained. If I want max waterproofing, I go a bit lighter on the mink oil and top coat with the 50/50 resolene. Cutting it with water reduces the sheen.

Any way you could do a tutorial on your paracord lanyard? I really like the looks and paracord is something I usually have plenty of around the shop. I realize a tutorial is pretty time consuming, but maybe you could point us to one that already exists somewhere on the 'net. Thanks!

Any way you could do a tutorial on your paracord lanyard? I really like the looks and paracord is something I usually have plenty of around the shop. I realize a tutorial is pretty time consuming, but maybe you could point us to one that already exists somewhere on the 'net. Thanks!
This is the one I've used...

Back