Finished recent projects:

joe D

Finally finished, was lots of fun. I had really nice handle material to work with for these projects.

8gpjoPU.jpg

M9VyjGP.jpg
gy5vkYC.jpg

That second handle is very different...and beautiful. Can you explain it a bit? (Both knives are very well done)

That second handle is very different...and beautiful. Can you explain it a bit? (Both knives are very well done)
Thank you Mr Hauser, the 2nd knife is ram / sheep horn, exhibition grade, sanded flat from the bottom only, to preserve the contour. Pins have been peened down to match the contour (nick wheeler demonstrates this method) and smoothed with cratex. The horn can be a mess to work with and doesnt smell great. I glued a backing on the scales to maintain flat while working on the project. They have been slightly hollowed to increase surface area for the epoxy. I dyed them with leather dye. (Tan) using a paint brush I liberated from my wife's painting supplies. ( dont tell) Darkened at the lows to show pattern. Watch out for over heating and moisture when working with this horn. Hope this information helps.

Thank you Mr Hauser, the 2nd knife is ram / sheep horn, exhibition grade, sanded flat from the bottom only, to preserve the contour. Pins have been peened down to match the contour (nick wheeler demonstrates this method) and smoothed with cratex. The horn can be a mess to work with and doesnt smell great. I glued a backing on the scales to maintain flat while working on the project. They have been slightly hollowed to increase surface area for the epoxy. I dyed them with leather dye. (Tan) using a paint brush I liberated from my wife's painting supplies. ( dont tell) Darkened at the lows to show pattern. Watch out for over heating and moisture when working with this horn. Hope this information helps.
Thank you Joe! I actually thought that was an ancient piece of wood that was revived somehow. The color and finish is just amazing to me.

Back