Finishing curly maple

Ty Adams

KNIFE MAKER
So I was going to run a test on wood that has not been stabilized. The test was to determine if the work of putting 10 to 14 coats of Tru-Oil is worth it over using a grain sealer and only 4 or 5 coats. The test blocks are going to be finished and let sit outside to see how they hold up.
On a regular basis I see post about finishing maple. So I decided this morning to double up and show how I finish curly maple. I can't take credit for all of it. 98% of what I do John Doyle helped with. The process is what works best for me.
IMG_20170913_163314.jpg
I sand the wood up to 1000 grit to give it a nice smooth finish.
IMG_20170913_163404.jpg
IMG_20170913_163438.jpg
Taking a piece of leather with the edges trimmed off I burnish the wood. You want the wood to get warm from rubbing it hard. The material will look almost polished at this point.
IMG_20170913_163539.jpg
Fiebings Leather dye is applied slowly with a q-tip. For me if you put the dye on to fast it soaks in to the more dense grain just as fast as they porous grain. This takes away from some of the more settle character of the wood.
IMG_20170913_163617.jpg
Once the dye stops soaking in and stays on top. Use a paper towel to wipe off the extra dye.
IMG_20170913_193722.jpg
Once it dries sanding to 1200 grit or higher really helps bring the grain out. It looks dull at this point but that will change.
IMG_20170913_193812.jpg
Burnish the wood with the leather wrapped around something round again. Rub until the material is warm to the touch. This step is one of the most important steps to make the grain pop.
IMG_20170913_193909.jpg
Use your finger to rub oil on. This step takes 2 to 3 coats before it stops soaking into the wood. Wipe the oil off with a blue paper towel ( thanks Ed Caffery for that tip.)
IMG_20170913_193944.jpg
IMG_20170913_194059.jpg
And here it is after the first application of oil. It only gets better from here. After 2 coats of oil I take the high spots off with 0000 steel wool. After 10 to 14 coats I buff it with pink no scratch. Please feel free to add any more tips.

Thanks for the tutorial, burnishing with leather to warm is a new step for me. I don't think I've done any non-stabilized curly maple - would you use the same process for stabilized? Doesn't seem like it would soak in the way the non-stabilized does so might change everything.

Sure does look good in that final photo, and you say that's with only a couple of coats.

Ken, I have never used stabilized maple. It might change how you finish it, but stabilized wood will sometime take some oil. The first coat of oil might be considered a couple of coats. On the first application of Tru-oil I just keep rubbing it in until the wood won't soak it up any more.

Back