Finishing G10

Hi Jeff. Sanded to 800 grit but if I sanded higher I think I still would have run into the same "texture" problem because of the layers in the material.
I won't be using G10 with a superglue finish and I wouldn't recommend it. I use thin CA and my index finger as a brush. Apply the CA and smooth it out with your finger. Let it dry and sand carefully with 800 grit. You'll sand 95% of it off. Sand the finish and it will dull. Any shiny spots are low spots in your material. You'll have to keep applying and sanding until you have a uniform dull surface without any shiny spots. When buffing any shiny spot will show up as a dimple and look terrible. Once I have a good smooth surface. I buff first with white compound followed by no scratch pink.

Here's a superglue finish on some dyed maple.

SM0007e.jpg

m0005e.jpg

Hi Jeff. Sanded to 800 grit but if I sanded higher I think I still would have run into the same "texture" problem because of the layers in the material.
I won't be using G10 with a superglue finish and I wouldn't recommend it. I use thin CA and my index finger as a brush. Apply the CA and smooth it out with your finger. Let it dry and sand carefully with 800 grit. You'll sand 95% of it off. Sand the finish and it will dull. Any shiny spots are low spots in your material. You'll have to keep applying and sanding until you have a uniform dull surface without any shiny spots. When buffing any shiny spot will show up as a dimple and look terrible. Once I have a good smooth surface. I buff first with white compound followed by no scratch pink.

Here's a superglue finish on some dyed maple.

View attachment 71223

View attachment 71224
Beautiful picture of the knife and sheath.

Back