Finishing lignum vitae

CTaylorJr

First of all, I got LUCKY today!

My buddy at Wood Craft called me over while I was in the store this afternoon and told me that he found some old pen blanks in the back room of the store and thought I might be interested since the blanks were just over 1" x 1" and 14" long.

He handed me a box full of lignum vitae and told me to pick out 5 sticks if I wanted any of it. well, I make small trimming knives and jumped all over it!

I've never used the stuff before and decided to try it tonight on a 40 year old kitchen knife a friend wants me to rehandle. LOVE the smell of this wood! PITA to work though...

Now, BIG question, how do you folks recommend finishing? Looks to me like it has enough natural oils to fine sand and then buff to a shine. Any other suggestions?

I'm going to try a fine sand and buff later...

Charlie

Sanding out to a fine grit and then buffing sounds like a plan to me. I love the stuff. I'm going to be looking for a supplier for the next time I have to order handle wood.

Doug

Fine sand then multiple coats of real tung oil (not "Tung oil finish"). Real tung oil doesn't make a plastic like surface like polyurethane, but enough coats of it will eventually yield a deep, polymerized finish that's protective. It's also real easy to touch up: if it gets dull, just light sand with 400-600 and slap on another coat or three. You won't have to sand it all the way down to bare wood.

I've used it with good results (so far) on olive wood, Osage orange and lignum vitae.

And you can get it at your buddy's Woodcraft store; I get mine at the Woodcraft outlet in Franklin, TN.

You lucky dog!! I'm very jealous. One of my favorite woods.

I sand it using wet/dry paper with water as the lubricant. With the lignum vitae, it usually go up to 800 or 1000. Then I use a little carnuba paste wax and buff. Depending how the log was cut, it can have a really cool grain pattern almost like tiger's eye gems stone.

Make you sure you rough up the gluing surfaces and use a decent brand of epoxy.

One of the interesting things is that the lignum vitae is so dense, it will sink in water.

Since you like the smell of it (I like it too), try getting some ipe or brazillian walnut. It has a similar smell. Check with some local flooring contractors and see if they have some scrap or left overs from a job. The grain isn't as pretty and defined as lignum vitae, but it is readily available and not expensive.

Make sure you post some pictures so I can drool a little......

Ric

I found a stick of real lignum vitae on Ebay. It was 2X2X12 and had a check through the middle so it was discounted. Not good for turning but the defect will be easily cut around to get some scales and blocks.

Doug

Back