Finishing question/s

DLBrothers

Im quite tired of dealing with the "grease goop" from my buffing compounds! Not so much on metal but on handle material, particularly the dis-coloring that takes place on some materials. Is there any hope out there? What is the best "grease/wax free" compound to use on handle material?

#2 - I am currently getting 2, maybe 3 non-HT knives out of one 400 grit belt, and 1 maybe 2 HT knives done with one. I clean them with a rubber stick often but that only helps marginally and seems to lessen their bite. I know it has been said to treat belts like they are free....but they aint! It doesnt seem to matter whether I use a 'cheap' Shroeader belt or a 'quality' Klingspor. Is there a 400 grit belt out there that gets any better? ....maybe I'm just a tightwad...:eek:

Pink No-Scratch is the compound that I use on handle material. It's a very dry compound, and any residue that it left over easily comes off. Just about any compound will "fill" a material that has pores or open grain. What I do for those types of materials is finish the handle very finely by hand with sandpaper (1200 grit of finer), then use a "clean" buff with nothing on it.

If your getting more than 1 heat treated blade done with a 400 grit belt, your way ahead of me. I use Norax X30s (400 grit) and often will use one belt, and part of another to finish out a heat treated blade. I can get a bit more mileage out of a 400 grit by slowing it down considerably (variable speed grinder). If your grinder is a single speed model, getting one heat treated blade from a new 400 grit belts is pretty darn good.

I used the clean buff on a Cocobola handle last week after sanding to 2000 grit, oiling with teak oil, sanding again and then buffed - came out really well, in fact I sold it at the local Gun Show this weekend - COOL! Thanks for the idea! 2thumbs

Back