Finishing Titanium Framelock Scales

JRB Blades

So I don't have a blast cabinet (yet). What other ways are there to finish titanium scales to give them that gunmetal gray broken in look?

I have thought about hitting with with my scotchbrite belt and putting them in the vibratory tumbler with the HF ceramic media. Anyone go that route? Any other suggestions to get that same finish without blasting?

DON'T do the scotchbrite! All you'll get is a scratched look, and tumbling will not remove it....only make it more prominent.

You'll sorta get that look with just tumbling and the HF triangular ceramic media.... but it will take at least a full day of tumbling, and possibly more. Blasting makes the tumbling process go a bit faster.

Probably not the answer you want but I would just get the cabinet. I haven't found a real alternative. About 200 dollars gets you a cabinet with media. For the darkest possible color I use garnett or 80g aluminum oxide.

Yea, I was thinking that I was gonna have to break down and get a cabinet/compressor. The only problem is the compressor. I only have 110 available to my shop, so that limits me on how many CFM I can get. Best I have found so far is a Grizzly compressor that has "The 2-1/2 HP motor operates with a maximum pressure of 125 PSI. This compressor delivers 6.2 CFM at 90 PSI and 7.4 CFM at 40 PSI". The cabinet I'm looking at is also the Grizzly table top cabinet that requires "Operating air pressure range: 60-100 PSI and Recommended air supply: 5-14 CFM".

Hope this will do...

You can try a gravity feed gun.

It makes a mess and you'll lose at least some of your media depending on how use it but it works and is cheap.

I like the look I get with glass beads.

image_13747.jpg

It will work! You may have to just wait for the compressor to catch up (depending how much blasting you are doing at one time) but you can def. Get the job done!

Yeah, a larger compressor is WAY nicer but even a small one is ok. I usually blast at 90ish psi, so far as long as it can maintain close to that pressure it will work. If your doing more than one or two it may drive you nuts to have a small one. Adding an extra tank is a good intermediate step for less cost.

Thanks guys. I think I will go with the Grizzly setup. Just got my mini mill so working trying to get the rotary table lined out with my aluminum plate for milling stop pin tracks!

Back