first file work

N.N

This was a customer requested knife. He wanted something big, with some weight that he could use for a little of anything - outdoors stuff, nothing too fancy...but then he started talking about maybe some file work etc. I told him I've never done file work etc., but decided to surprise him after taking some time to do a little practice. He was very pleased to say the least and I think it turned out pretty good.

I say this to ask a question. This little bit was a little time consuming. How do you guys price this sort of extra with the extra time. I didn't charge anything for this bit, but I can see how doing the whole tang or something I would want to. Do you guys just raise the price for the time involved?

3/16th thick 1084, 5" blade, almost 10" overall, OD canvas with ss pins and a whole bunch of hot vinager to give it a used look (he was very happy with the way it came out).

second try.jpg

Last edited:
I'm probably way newer at this than you, so take it for what it's worth. I think normal jimping or thumb notches on the spine is expected on just about every knife, so no charge at all. After that, I'd say for a fairly simple filework pattern for the whole spine, I'd charge at least $25 extra. I figure it'd add at least an hour to the knife, so what's your time worth?

Next, I like your knife! I like it a lot, but I'm not sure filework fits the style for me. Customer's always right I guess, but you made an awesome hardcore looking heavy use knife, doesn't need any frilly extras. Again, take it for what its worth.

Thanks guys!

I agree the filework doesn't really match the style, but as a little easter egg I think it was just a nice little touch. I usually add jimping on larger knives just because for the use, I think they need it. Smaller knives or hunters I usually ask but don't charge extra as it really doesn't take that much time. That little bit (about an inch) of vine work, probably because it was the first time, took about an hour for just that little bit. I was just a bit surprised when I looked at the clock. It's didn't seem that long of time (thats a good thing:biggrin:).

I guess I've just never had an add on that was quite that time consuming....looking to the future there will be an extra fee for it, I was just curious how some others thought about it.

Self, just left you a facebook friend request. I think we've been making knives about the same amount of time. I'm still pretty rookieish too.

A lot of your stuff doesn't have handles. I wouldn't charge as much for cord wrapped handles, it's just not as time consuming. I'm sure you know that though. I did see that one on your facebook page though that you filed your name and the little knives into the spine....yeah, I'd charge a bit for something like that.

I should have kept that knife a secret, I've had a bunch of requests now for putting the customer's name on the spine. Self isn't so bad, but McKenzie, Hutchinson, Hernandez, etc? I've told everyone, emphatically NO to the name on the spine. That knife was to be my personal hunting knife and I doubt I'll every put another name on the spine. I've done a few with "real" scales, but had my coming out, so to speak with the paracord handle model and was swamped with orders. Keep watching, I'm working 2 "real" knives right now. See you on FB.

That's cool, your paracord wraps look great too! I'm actually working on something similar by request. Without epoxy and another thing to hand sand, it sure does make the build quicker. I hope to finish this up this weekend....

2015-01-17_22-35-23_488.jpg

Back