first frame lock stop pin error help

Txcwboy

Making my first frame lock and forgot to drill the stop pin. I drilled blade for a 5/32 stop like normal when I realized that I cant go about it the same way. I cant drill a 5/32 hole through blade and both "liners" because they are the scales and liner this time. So now I need a 5/32 barrel pivot to fix it. Or anyone else have another idea ?

thanks

Dave

If I understand correctly, maybe you can use the 5/32 hole in your blade to help you "spot" the location for the hole in one half of your frame. Then use an undersize drill, say #54 and drill thru the frame. Then, use that half of the frame as the template for the other half and drill the same size hole thru it. Once you have the undersize hole spotted in the frame halves, you can open the hole up on the inside without drilling all the way thru. You will have a small hole visible from the outside of the frame, but you could still use a hardened pin without a barrel pivot. Hope this makes sense and is helpful. -Phil

If I understand correctly, maybe you can use the 5/32 hole in your blade to help you "spot" the location for the hole in one half of your frame. Then use an undersize drill, say #54 and drill thru the frame. Then, use that half of the frame as the template for the other half and drill the same size hole thru it. Once you have the undersize hole spotted in the frame halves, you can open the hole up on the inside without drilling all the way thru. You will have a small hole visible from the outside of the frame, but you could still use a hardened pin without a barrel pivot. Hope this makes sense and is helpful. -Phil

Along those same lines, you can make a micarta template of the existing scale, locate and drill through for the stop pin as normal, and then use this scale to spot the partial holes on the actual knife.

I guess I could make it a frame lock with scales on the thin side and just do it like I would a normal liner lock but not go all the way through on the frame lock side. That would probably solve my whole issue.

thanks guys !
Dave

Back