First Friction Folder almost done!!

blgoode

I have always liked folders but I prefer using fixed blades. Friction folders just seemed too cool and simple not to try. Finding time is always difficult to try something new so I spent more time playing with kydex to make a pattern that I liked. Anyways. I'll let the pics speak for themselves. I credit Jared Price for much more help than I needed. This knife isn't complete so I may screw it up down the road but hey...gotta try :)

66610d38.jpg

fcea4364.jpg

ac9c9ede.jpg

Getting my back spacer the blade thickness plus the blade washer thickness. Just used calipers and my kmg platen to get it sized.
25103c77.jpg

Now I have all my holes where I want so I can simply drill through remaining materials and profile together to shape things up.
5bf71930.jpg

Cleaning up all the parts to make them look like something :)

36d7202c.jpg

I'm digging the friction folder but I still have blade grinding and handle shaping to do but I am happy thus far.

e91f9677.jpg

237d5264.jpg

49fe0e6f.jpg

Okay.... I just had to keep going as the flat sided bugged me :)

I used a small piece of pin that wouldnt stick out to help hold the 2 sides together so I can eyeball the shaping better.

e9a9638d.jpg

c8f1c0e8.jpg

5e578194.jpg

6fc1d8af.jpg

986ccdaf.jpg

Need to shorten a few screws now :)

Here she is and it feels much better than before!!

e9594870.jpg

a55c0560.jpg

8fc7dc4d.jpg

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics.

If any of you guys don't know I am very obsessive compulsive. To a point if I don't DO something sometimes it keeps me up days. So.....

This is why I HAD to rough grind and heat treat this before I could relax and move onto my sheath work prep for next weekend.

Blade is in temper cycle now and grind line will change so I normally stop short of where I want things.

f703f37b.jpg

ea0fd312.jpg

19f1e3f3.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pics, they're helpful for those of us that haven't made a friction folder yet. Dan

That's turning into a great looking knife... And Dan's right... this is making me want to give it a shot too!

Back