First Hamon 26c3

izafireman

After a little advice if possible please regarding hamons.

Just had some 26c3 clay quenched and have ground it out and also taken it up too 1200 grit. I then cleaned it up and used ferric to develop the hamon, a few cycles with a light sanding in between each dip but there wasn't much development and the hamon was dark.

I then sanded it all back and used hot vinegar/dish soap, much better results but still the hamon darker than the rest of the steel. So I decided to polish the blade by hand with Autosol paste and the harmon changed to a paler colour than the main body of the steel , so guessing I am going in the right direction?

If I am and please feel free to correct me if I am not...Am I able to polish the blade on the buffer before any acidic treatments or would this close the steel surface up and effect the efficiency of the acid?

And to develop the hamon I am guessing I need to do an acid treatment then polish back, repeat and repeat until I get to something I am OK with... or would too much polishing polish the hamon out? I just read on another thread that 1500 grit silicone carbide is maybe better?....

I am confused lol

Many thanks

Last edited:
Definitely following this as I have been wanting to try that steel after reading about it on the AKS site...

After a little advice if possible please regarding hamons.

Just had some 26c3 clay quenched and have ground it out and also taken it up too 1200 grit. I then cleaned it up and used ferric to develop the hamon, a few cycles with a light sanding in between each dip but there wasn't much development and the hamon was dark.

I then sanded it all back and used hot vinegar/dish soap, much better results but still the hamon darker than the rest of the steel. So I decided to polish the blade by hand with Autosol paste and the harmon changed to a paler colour than the main body of the steel , so guessing I am going in the right direction?

If I am and please feel free to correct me if I am not...Am I able to polish the blade on the buffer before any acidic treatments or would this close the steel surface up and effect the efficiency of the acid?

And to develop the hamon I am guessing I need to do an acid treatment then polish back, repeat and repeat until I get to something I am OK with... or would too much polishing polish the hamon out? I just read on another thread that 1500 grit silicone carbide is maybe better?....

I am confused lol

Many thanks
Do what @J. Doyle says for sure. Pics will help too.

OK as above here are some photos.

This eve I did two 5 min or so cycles in warm ferric and then neutralised. Cleaned with Ammonia solution again and then did one ten min wipe down with lemon and dish soap (hot) .... This was them polished with Autosol.

Now I am planning to repeat the lemon juice several times and polish between each cycle.....would this be OK?

The other thing is do I then polish until the Hamon turns colour as I don't get it is dark at the moment, though first time I have done this of course.

And three more lemon juice cycles done, a couple more than a final polish I think.....But do I polish the darkend area in order to lighten.....what's the score as such please?image0.jpeg

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    809.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back