First Knife 2018

opaul

It was so cold and so miserable I couldn't get out to the shop to do any work at the end of 2017. I had this blade roughed out so with the weather in the 60's today I decided to finish it. Here she is - 7-1/4" with a 3-1/8" blade; African Blackwood scales, SS pins, carbon fiber lanyard tube, 440 para-cord with a titanium bead.
It was so nice I moved my chair out in the sun and finished hand sanding to 800 grit and then polished with stropping compound.

Last edited:
opaul - Getting better and better with each knife that you get finished.

I really like how African Blackwood finishes out on a handle. But, man is it hard compared to some of the other softer wood choices.

opaul - Getting better and better with each knife that you get finished.

I really like how African Blackwood finishes out on a handle. But, man is it hard compared to some of the other softer wood choices.

Thank you Dennis!
I love the finish on African Blackwood to. The subtle grain pattern is really beautiful and it takes a finish for sure. Yep, it's hard, I wore out a 100 grit belt and a 120 grit belt getting it to the point I could start hand sanding.
Has anyone tried to rasp this wood to rough shape? I'm wondering if it would tear out?

I did some of the preliinary shaping with the bandsaw but used a coarse file rather than a rasp to do the shaping before getting to the sandpapers when I used the blackwood.

I've got to get some silicon carbide belts to do wood finishing. I have mostly ceramic belts and the wood wastes these belts pronto.

I haven't used blackwood, but I love a 1" scalloped belt for shaping and sanding handles. I've split 2" belts before but the scalloped edges make a big difference on tight curves.

On the way to its' new owner, with my logo and the parting snapshot. My daughter dubbed it the Black Thorn.

Back