first knife/first forge

bluegrass in ga

This is my first humbling attempt at a knife. It's supposed to be a skinner. Coal Forged 5160, quenched and tempered with polished blade. Scales are desert camo layered dymondwood with 1/16 brass pins. I know I've got a long way to go so I need some constructive critisism from all yall. (yes I did say yall:) Thanks for looking and all the inspiration.

Attachments

• family pics 059.jpg
    family pics 059.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47
  • family pics 060.jpg
    family pics 060.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 56
  • family pics 063.jpg
    family pics 063.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 45
  • family pics 064.jpg
    family pics 064.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 42
good effort. You don't see 5160 that polished very often so you really put some work into that. I'd offer two suggestions since you asked. Just a little less finger relief. It looks disproportionately large. The point should be sharper on a skinner. You can still grind that back in even now if you want.
You are doing good. Keep them coming.
t

I agree with BossDog on the point and the finger relief. Also you might want to radius your handle scales a little more to provide a little more comfort while using. But no matter how you make a knife there will be some who don't like it and some who will. Keep em coming.

finger relief

thanks for the feed back, the guy I'm learning from wasn't to crazy about the knife not having a sharp point, he said all knives need a point. Anyway, this one is mine and I'm cool with it. As far as the finger relief, I got a crack there after I formed the ricaso area, after I got it all ground out that's what was left. Some guys may have scraped it but since it was my first I wanted to see it through and learn the whole process. Keep the comments coming and thanks for looking.

Back