First knife needs critique before I start the next one.

Joetrain

Ok, here is my first actual knife from 1084 steel with brass gaurd and pommel and stacked leather handle. I know it's pretty ugly, especially against some of the masterpieces I've seen here, but I wouldn't mind some feedback before I start my next project. I've already learned that there is a definate order of operations to knife making. Does anyone have any suggestions based on this one?
IMG_1109.jpgIMG_1116.jpgIMG_1117.jpgIMG_1120.jpg

I saw this after the other post.

It looks like you have the basics down, it looks and acts like a knife.
The best thing I can tell you is to start with a plan with details. I'm one of those that needs a drawing to follow, some don't. It's much easier if I have a reference point to compare and stick to. Yes, I can whip one out without it but it will lack definition. Try not to rush through each step and bring each step to completion before moving on. Practice, practice, practice. We all started somewhere and it does get easier and prettier for the most part. Sharpen last.

Again welcome to the kennel.

Rudy

I'm going to say that the two things that I noticed first was the blade finish and the grind. You are going to want to use sandpaper like its free and make sure you finish each step of sanding before moving on to the next. The grind I would say you want to push it up higher so the angle is less. Those two things will make the whole knife look a lot better. That is all I can really say, it's still a lot better than my first.

I'm not one who can give you a lot of advice, especially on fixed blades. Go with the above advice and plan to spend a lot of time going through the sandpaper grit ranges, 220,320,400,600,800, etc. until you get a finish you are happy with. It is also helpful to look for scratches with a magnifying glass before stepping up from one grit to the next. Dan

deff looks good, but as stated above, id bring the bevel up at least twice as far, and then just give it a more even polish

Back