First Knife

Sorry for the lousy pic makes that front pin look off but it not while it's not perfect I was pleased.Show no mercy let me know wat you think.10 coats of Tru oil Ed Caffery style on the Walnut.

Good first effort Rick. Is it just an optical illusion or is there a slight edge gap just ahead of the ricasso/sharpening notch? Is there a reason for the step up from the lower edge of the ricasso to the blade edge as it seems that there may have been a few years worth of sharpening taken from the edge during the bevel forming - maybe to correct edge centering or is this a design specific.

Rick - Great first effort. A couple things to improve upon. Pin placement that you mention. A deeper sharpening notch. A maker mark of some sort. On the good side. It’s a nice knife shape. You did well on the hand sanding. The walnut is beautiful. Make sure you keep that one forever. Keep grinding!!

I would be happy to offer some critique but its pretty hard to say much from one odd angle in-hand pic.

This thread was *PARTLY* the reason I started a new thread on pictures here:

Now..... some things I CAN see from this pic that I would note for future knives:

1. It looks like there are some scratches on the blade right in the plunge line that didn't get sanded out.

2. The cutting edge appears rough and uneven, maybe even chipped in spots? The edge on the belly towards the tip is lumpy and not in a smooth, even arc.

3. On the front pin at least, there are some deep scratches on the face of the pin that didn't get sanded out.

4. There appear to be coarse scratches in the wood that didn't get sanded out.

Now..... some things I CAN see from this pic that I would note for future knives:

1. It looks like there are some scratches on the blade right in the plunge line that didn't get sanded out.

2. The cutting edge appears rough and uneven, maybe even chipped in spots? The edge on the belly towards the tip is lumpy and not in a smooth, even arc.

3. On the front pin at least, there are some deep scratches on the face of the pin that didn't get sanded out.

4. There appear to be coarse scratches in the wood that didn't get sanded out.
Well stated. @Rick Otts, this stuff or most of it can still be done. I m so glad you posted. It’s the only way to improve.

Very nice knife, especially if its your first.
The normal rookie mistake......as with my firste is over grinding the edge but you weren't tempted.

That knife has taught you more than you will know and will teach you more even years later as suddenly you think of another way of making your life easier, something you did different.....if that makes sense ))

Keep it safe its your best reference now you are on your knife making journey...

Back