First Knife

About two months ago.....
The friend of mine who makes sheaths sent me a pic of an Ed Caffrey knife that Ed made for a friend 30 or so yrs ago when they both got out of the service. My buddy said the craftsmanship was excellent (and he's a picky bugger...lol). He works for BNSF with the fella that owns the knife. When he said he had an early Caffrey knife Mark asked him to bring it in. He believes the recurve was "sharpened" later. As you can see it has held up nicely. He said the owner is not really a knife guy (a nice guy though...) and has probably abused it somewhat over the years without realizing it. But he is proud of it....

123657312_411624396517915_515703010063560828_n.jpg

The friend of mine who makes sheaths sent me a pic of an Ed Caffrey knife that Ed made for a friend 30 or so yrs ago when they both got out of the service. My buddy said the craftsmanship was excellent (and he's a picky bugger...lol). He works for BNSF with the fella that owns the knife. When he said he had an early Caffrey knife Mark asked him to bring it in. He believes the recurve was "sharpened" later. As you can see it has held up nicely. He said the owner is not really a knife guy (a nice guy though...) and has probably abused it somewhat over the years without realizing it. But he is proud of it....

View attachment 76544
This picture gives me a feeling there is hope for me yet!!!! Nice knife and great story - thanks for sharing.

I just turned 52 this month ... still feel like I’m in my 30s though. My daughter was born February 29, 1996 so she’ll be 6.25 here soon

View attachment 76544
I thought about this last night and the advise Ed gave concerning using a makers mark that will indicate without a doubt who the makes was/is. There you go.

I thought about this last night and the advise Ed gave concerning using a makers mark that will indicate without a doubt who the makes was/is. There you go.
Yeah...6 years ago Ed advised me not to use any variant of the cool names/logos I had come up with....and to just use my name. One of the reasons he gave in addition to being able to be found was the perception of quality. Some companies hide behind a pseudo name while a craftsman proudly stands behind their real name. As he said...not always true but definitely can be the perception....and often justified. I am glad I listened (finally...lol!).

Back