First knives ever.

ORCA

Here are a few of the knives I made about 20 years ago. Didn't know anything about making knives at that time as you can see. Had a lull at work and gave it a shot. Took about three weeks to finish 7 knives and another week to make sheaths for each. No mfg. parts were purchased for any of the knives. Material used: 01 tool steel hardened to 58-59 Rc. Micarta, brass, stainless steel plastic spacers. Made the blind screws from round stock. It was fun and a learning experence. Most makers don't get paid enough for the time that they spend making one knife. My hat is off to those fine craftsman who produce quality knives. I now spend my retired time sharpening anything with an edge and modifying some of the knives of friends.

P1010003-vi.jpg

Im going to say these are very impressive since they were your first and the internet was not around with all the tutorials. They did have books back then didnt they?:p

I didnt realize micarta and spacers were in use back then. Were those very modern at the time? These knives look like they could have been made yeterday.
Very cool.cool 1

Thanks.
I used Micarta for other applications then and felt they would be a good handle material. I bought a book after I made these DUH! not the proper order of things. I had milling machines, lathes, Bur King grinder etc. in the shop and do not have all these machines at hand now. Don't think there were forums on knives and I didn't have a computer for info then. I really enjoy all the info that can be obtained in places like this and be able able to share my love of knives with others. The internet has opened up this world to many with similar interests.

Back