First post. Scandi camp knife.

20140111_064451.jpg20140111_064621.jpg

My first post! This is a knife I finished about a week ago. Made from an old Nicholson rasp. True scandi grind. Oak scales. Approx. 9in overall. I like how sharp a scandi grind can be. This one is sharpened to 2000 grit and then finished on a strop with green compound. Let me know what you think.

That's good early work. Generally I'm not thrilled with blades that show file teeth still showing but that's just a matter of taste. A few pointers. Try to make the handle a little less blocky. Rounding the edges and maybe creating a palm sell would make it feel better in the hand. It's hard to say without actually putting hands on the knife but might want to work the bevel a little higher. Scandi grinds look like they should be simple but many have found them one of the most difficult edges to grind, myself included.

Here's the last and possibly final efforts that I did at making Scandi grinds. It may be hard to see but because the blade was forged a little on the thick side the bevels had to go almost to the spine.
IMG_0203.jpgIMG_0199.jpg

Doug

For a big knife it feel pretty good in hand. I like the idea of going a little higher on the grind though. It would probably make it a better slicer. I can't remember what the angle was for this grind. I think it was 7 or 8 degrees on each side, maybe I will go 11 or so on the next one. Thanks for the input it is appreciated.

If it is 7 or 8° on each side it should be fine. I was just thinking that a file would have been thicker than the blades that I made and they're at about 10° on each side and I had to go up much higher. If you want a good book on the style there is a book out there, Norwegian Knife Making.

Doug

Back