First stck tang,,, sort of...

Kurt Krueger

Actually a repair job, but hey, fit my first guard, made a broaching tool and squared off the blind hole for the tang etc. Gotta wave the victory flag now and then eh?

A guy who did some training for my dog, Guinness, asked me if I'd trade some training time in exchange for repairing an old hunting knife that he's had since he was a kid. I said that I'd never done a hidden tang before but was confident I could do better than the delapidated handle that was on it at the time. Unfortunately, I didn't get a snap of it in it's "before" condition, but the pile of scraps next to the rejuvenated knife paints the picture. It had been repaired before, and the handle was actually held in place with RTV! I actually broke into laughter when I saw that upon dis-assembly. It original form, the handle wasn't pinned to the blade, so I made a notch in the tang and pinned it with some brazing rod, seemed to work okay.

So, final result, stabilized bubinga and brass with black-red-black micarta spacers. The only thing I regret is that I should have reversed the pattern in the spacers. The red is almost completely lost between the two layers of black. Oh well, live 'n learn.

-Kurt

Don Erlandson, knife repair.jpg

Thanks. I hope he's pleased. Dog's going back in for a refresher course on Thursday, wouldn't want him to hold my pooch for ransom. :9:

Back