Flat or Hollow grind

tmr

Just a little survey.....what type of grind do you prefer and why? I like hollow grinds on most stock removal blades i do because i find them easier to finish/polish on a wheel......I like flat grinds for forged blades and damascus especially to show the pattern best.....I find flat grinds a bit longer to finish because of the hand sanding involved.....I really like the flat grinds on large bowies and choppers

Flat at much easier for me as there are less things going on... Hollow is very difficult to be done the way I personally like it - with very clean grind lines, no rounding near the transition to the flat (ie you can't use cork belts or gator trizacts), a consistent edge thickness from heel to tip... and there's always the risk of blowing out the other side if you don't know what your doing.

Here's a couple of recent reblades I did with hollows

i-gd2h86M-XL.jpg

i-SBJD5LN-XL.jpg

Question: In the case of a company like Buck, is their grinding process fully automated or do they have a man on a machine grinding each blade?

I would do flat grinds. Most of mine are hollow and that's only because it was how I started. It really is a pain in the butt to keep the lines straight, thicknesses, etc. etc. I've actually started to transition away from hollow just for those reasons.

Plus, with a flat grind you can opt not to have the bevel line if that happens to be the "grind style" you are looking for. Hollow kind of needs the bevel line.

I do kitchen knives, all flat except the last .300” or so I convex. Can’t hollow grind a .080” thick blade.
Hollow ground .082" AEB-L paring knife. I also do a hollow on my Glasraich veggie cleaner and that's usually .090".

I like both hollow and flat, depending on the style of knife. For me, flats are easier and quicker, but I still love the look of hollows so I do plenty of them also.
If you are wanting to hand send hollow grinds, Kyle from KH Daily Knives makes a sanding buddy with different hollow radius so you can hand sand them.

Hollow ground .082" AEB-L paring knife. I also do a hollow on my Glasraich veggie cleaner and that's usually .090".

I like both hollow and flat, depending on the style of knife. For me, flats are easier and quicker, but I still love the look of hollows so I do plenty of them also.
If you are wanting to hand send hollow grinds, Kyle from KH Daily Knives makes a sanding buddy with different hollow radius so you can hand sand them.
I could see it on a paring knife. My last run of chefs knives was 2.5” tall at the heel. I’d have to use about a 40” radius platen to do a concave grind on something like that. I really really dislike a big flat on any knife, I kind of feel the whole blade should be used for a bevel, weather it’s flat or hollow, hence using a flat grind for mine. Nice looking knives you got there.

I could see it on a paring knife. My last run of chefs knives was 2.5” tall at the heel. I’d have to use about a 40” radius platen to do a concave grind on something like that. I really really dislike a big flat on any knife, I kind of feel the whole blade should be used for a bevel, weather it’s flat or hollow, hence using a flat grind for mine. Nice looking knives you got there.
Get a 40" contact wheel.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I have two platens, one 18 inch radius (36 inch wheel) and one that is a 36". I use them a lot for griding clips and swedges. Get the radius and then just lay the blade over for the swedge. I have done a couple of knives with the "big wheel" shallow hollow grind. Works well, but you have to watch out for the heat like with any weird platen setup. I also use the 36" to "rough in an S grind on kitchen knives.

I have two platens, one 18 inch radius (36 inch wheel) and one that is a 36". I use them a lot for griding clips and swedges. Get the radius and then just lay the blade over for the swedge. I have done a couple of knives with the "big wheel" shallow hollow grind. Works well, but you have to watch out for the heat like with any weird platen setup. I also use the 36" to "rough in an S grind on kitchen knives.

I'm assuming it's a steel face on the platen?

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I hollow grind with an 18 inch wheel and have flat ground two knives in the last year mainly on my disc grinder.

Back