Folder Spring Info

DonL

Can someone give me a rundown on folder springs? Mainly, do all types of high carbon make good springs for lockbacks and slip joints? I know 1095 and 01 are used a lot. But I have some 3/32 52100 I'd like to try. I'm not sure it makes for a good spring though.

Does the blade and spring need to be of the same material? I mean, could I use a 01 blade and a 1095 spring?

Finally, when ht and tempering a spring, do you just ht it like the blade? Do you temper the spring until you hit the blue color? (not sure my toaster oven goes much over 475, but I'll look.)

I just realized I have everything on hand to make a folder in the shop and plan on breaking down an old junker for a template. I thought there's no time like the present to get started! :)

The blade and spring do not have to be the same material. I use CPM-154 most of the time and just use it for the springs on stainless blades. That keeps the material thickness the same for me. Try for 45 - 48 RC on your spring. I have never tempered a spring by color. I always use my Heat treat oven and check it with a hardness tester.

Back