For the fishermen

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
Have a fishing set among my designs now both with 12C27 stainless with the fishing knife having a 43/4 in blade while the filleting knife has a 6 1/2 in blade. Micarta handles keeps them from being effected by the wet environment they are destined for. No belt loop on the filleting knife leather cover but both hot waxed to also keep them protected from water take-up.
IMG_20181108_085103.jpgIMG_20181108_085154.jpg

Have a fishing set among my designs now both with 12C27 stainless with the fishing knife having a 43/4 in blade while the filleting knife has a 6 1/2 in blade. Micarta handles keeps them from being effected by the wet environment they are destined for. No belt loop on the filleting knife leather cover but both hot waxed to also keep them protected from water take-up.
View attachment 65880View attachment 65881
Just curious Vonn. I read that carbon steel can be tempered just below 500 degrees to allow for more flex for fillet knives, thin machetes etc. How are heat treating the SS to get the flex?

Just curious Vonn. I read that carbon steel can be tempered just below 500 degrees to allow for more flex for fillet knives, thin machetes etc. How are heat treating the SS to get the flex?
They are from 1/8 barstock and I grind post heat treat where I have them wrapped in foil and heat to 1955F and hold for 5 minutes, quench between heavy alloy plates and temper at 350 for 2 hours. It is the grind as much as anything that makes them flexible. I make table knives the same way but from .075 barstock

Back