Forged blade

Freds Edge

This is my first forged blade , I had planed on a 5'' to 6'' hunter but as I forged out the blade my plans began to change as the blade continued to grow , so I kind of went with the flow and ended up with a 9'' buck that I have taken a likening to. Here are some pix's the blade is 1 1/4 '' wide, 3/16 thick and 9'' long out of 1080 . I was using the Complete Bladesmith's Guide for my beginning stock length( 1/4''x1''IMG_0562.jpgIMG_0564.jpgIMG_0565.jpgIMG_0566.jpg x 9'') and did not realize they assumed a full tang , so the difference in length. Comments and constructive criticism appreciated .

Looks like a nice job. It takes a little experience to get the feel of how much the bar will stretch out during forging; it's common to end up with a blade a little longer than you intended.

Doug

Nice!

My first one was supposed to be a 6" blade and OAL of 11". I ended up with a 16.5" chopper! LOL

Yours looks good! Keep it up and in a few more you'll have it down to a very close guessament...

"Forge on and stay sharp!"

Ya, I know how you feel. Did a lot of cursing myself. Looks like it broke during grinding. What happened?

Doug

I broke it in the quench , I wanted to try something different to enhance the Hamon and did a quench in water then quench oil and instead of using my heat treat furnace I used my forge and went in a little hot (Maybe a lot hot), heard it ping .

Back