Forged In Fire New show, Beat the Judges

If they explained I missed it, but is that 8 hrs with no breaks? OR, do they take a 10 min break every couple of hours, with 30 minutes or an hour for lunch with the total working time at 8 hrs?

The tempering time gives some good time for handle and guard work.

I think I like having the contestants bring in a sample of best work for testing, and the 2 (or 3 if in old 4 contestant format) winners go forward.
I also have an issue with many of the handle complaints - just because the handle is too large (or small) to fit YOUR hand doesn't mean it's not a good handle that fits the maker's hand. Both judges have turned out an exceptional blade in their 8 hrs.

One of the things I don't understand: Sometimes in the sharpness test a blade will fail big time, even though it still seems to be a sharp blade. No, I don't think the judge is intentionally screwing up the test so that blade will fail. I don't know why it won't cut, maybe judge made a bad swing? Not sure what the deal is.

All in all, still a good show.

Well you got to admit those are some nice ovens and it I for one had wondered it they sent them out - now I know - they have three very nice ovens on the set!

I like that they are at least mentioning the tempering now. Too many people think you can stick hot steel in oil and then hit a rock with it and nothing should happen. On the rare occasions I teach in my forge I always heat up a 5/8 piece of bus leaf spring to orange and quench it in water. Then I hold it up and drop it on the floor where it shatters like glass. I just taught them more about steel in that 10 minutes than I can in two hours of trying to explain it to them.

That brings back memories. I had a beautifully ground blade (to me anyway) and it had a small warp in. Without giving it much thought I set two spacers on the bench and laid the warp blade on there and went to tighten the c clamp. I keep it on my bench as a reminder.

I just saw the 2nd episode of FiF Beat the Judges. Mark, you were your usual good looking self and boy was I surprised at the results of first round. I've always had a bit of an issue with how they judged handles. Handle too big for judge (might fit maker's hand just fine), it's put down. Better luck next time Mark.

I'll be surprised if there are very many of "beat the judge" episodes, those judges are just plain good at making knives.
Thanks, I had the same thoughts about the handle, I made it for an average sized hand. I'm not complaining though. It's part of the deal.

Any of the judges would be tough to tough to beat. But, everybody kept say they wanted to see how the judges could perform. You got it.

Only a dummy would subject himself the that kind of torment over and over again. I'm going back.
Good luck Mark, I hope you win next time.

Back