Forum Cherry Pop - Cross Draw Traditional Style Blade

LobosStyle Blades

Okay, so I'm new to the forum and haven't had much activity here. I thought I'd post one of my most recent pieces. Overall, I'm new to the industry and have only been doing this part time of part time as a hobby....meaning probably about 5hrs a week if I'm lucky. I've only really completed maybe 10 knives from stock removal and 10 more handles on blanks.

I've never actually posted anything I've done in a forum as the quality here is amazing.

This piece is a 440c traditional fixed blade piece. I had Peter's HT do the treating but did all the rest myself with stock removal. The handle is an inlaced acrylester with brass furnishings (obviously). The stone is an onyx with gold webbing. I also made the sheath as a cross draw/concealable design and stitched it all by hand. The etching was personalized for the customer with my mark on the opposite side.

(Bolster pins aren't great but hey.... I'm still learning, right?!?!?!)

Hoping I get the upload process right here.
20141214_165332.jpg20141214_165317.jpg20141214_165101.jpg20141214_164837.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good LoboStyle, nice job. Like the onyx and your maker's mark quite a bit.

Ausbrooks, thanks for the compliment. It took a LOT of research and trial and error in trying to get the etching right. I got an Etch-O-Matic and did a bunch of testing and then researched how to my my own stencils. After that I used a vector imaging program for the hand drawn design I made for the emblem. I'm quite proud of the result on it.

The onyx came from Jantz Supply. The have a lot of great stones there to make something simple look awesome.

Well, you've already far surpassed my abilities so keep posting. That's is one good looking knife, great job!

Wayne

Wayne, keep practicing and you'll get to where you want to be. I couldn't tell you how many hours on hours of videos and research I've done. Probably a good 5 months straight if I added it all up. My first hollow grind was absolutely atrocious but I keep it as a humbling reminder for how far I've come.

Welcome to the Pack here at KDs. Having one of the apex canines for a logo you will be right at home here! :3:

Excellent looking hunter! I love wild handles too!:14: I'm interested in how it lines up on the belt?

Welcome to the Pack here at KDs. Having one of the apex canines for a logo you will be right at home here! :3:

Excellent looking hunter! I love wild handles too!:14: I'm interested in how it lines up on the belt?

Thanks Laurence, I've watched this forum for a while but been afraid to put something up. Your work is amazing and show me that I have a long way to go in this journey.

The handle is inlaced acrylester and it works really well on my Grizzly G1015. I shape with a 60grit to close to what I want. Final shaping is with a 120 and then go through the grits to a 400. After that I use a 1/4" stitch buffing wheel with green compound to get the scratches out. Then move to a loose wheel to get that last polish.

Very nice, 440c is a good steel IMHO.

Zane, thanks for the input. I took a while in searching for something that could be an "all around" steel at a decent price and feel on the 440c. I'm moving into a CPM-3v for a new tactical style I'm working on and nervous to mess up such an expensive material. Should turn out nice though.

Last edited:
Back