FRANKINGRINDER portable 2 x 72" I made

rhinoknives

Hello fellow Dogsters.
This is a Coote grinder that I've had and used in my various shops since 1998.

I closed my large sshop and decided to go MOBILE for sharpening and sales of my customs.

I purchased the motor & controller from our own Wayne Coe. He was very helpful and if you need a motor etc I suggest you get in touch with him.

I found some lumber scraps that would meet my needs and for a platform I bought a upright moving dolly/trash cart from Harbor Freight.

I've been sharpening and selling my blades at the Malibu Farmers Market for a month now and business is starting to pickup as I train these poor souls in Malibu to bring their knives and their knife buying interests to the market.

I have a gas generator for the market but also just roll Frankingrinder up into the pickup truck to go to local accounts that have a socket with in 100 feet so I can just plug in.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Any questions or comments are welcome. I am planning of doing some actual knife grinding there this weekend. Nothing drawns a crowd like people being able to watch you make a knife or sharpen one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hey, that's a great idea Laurence - if it wasn't so far away I'd hop on the bike and ride over to watch and make nice comments to draw the crowd. Looks good.

Ken H>

Lawrence, you sure do look at home behind that grinder !! I believe you've come up with a great idea that will grow. My best to you ! Frank

Thanks guys,
The height is a little higer on that table than I had in mind. I designed the grinder with the height of the pickup bed in mind so I could have a little lower center of gravity for flat grinding. I am going to work on some of my blades from my reject bucket at the market this Sunday so if I screw anything up it won't be another total loss.

Funny thing is as the years have rolled by, some of my most interesting and fasting selling knives have been ones I rescued from the Dang, Nag It! bucket. LOL

I like your idea Laurence. I have thought about doing that myself at our local farmers market. Our season is over for this year so that will give me time to figure out a setup.
I would like to hear how this works out for you....grinding in public...

Now see Laurence, that pic of you is not that bad, on a rat killing scale of 1-10 I would only rate you at five! :what!: :s12137:

Sorry brother I couldn't resist that one.

I have decided that we have a different flea market around here than other places. I will drop in once in a while and I always see that same junk I wasn't interested in that was there five months ago. However there is a barber shop there that always has a line inside and out!

I am going to assume by the pic you do most of your sharpening on the slack belt, am I correct in that assumption?

I see you got the wrist wrapped so I am going to assume you got one of the wrists with the CTS operated on. How is that doing?

Last edited:
I like your idea Laurence. I have thought about doing that myself at our local farmers market. Our season is over for this year so that will give me time to figure out a setup.
I would like to hear how this works out for you....grinding in public...

Eric,
First of all I have no shame! :biggrin: So I have no problem sharpening & grinding in public and since I have families with their kids gather around.I just try to keep the not nice words to a minimum and a smile on my face when I have those Dang Nang it moments at the grinder!

Your season is over? We are expecting high 90's heat here by the ocean which will be a record for this time of year but still we normally are still in the 70's this time of year. I don't think I would last a full winter in your state!

Looks like if you angle that right you could also use it to ride around to stur up business!! great Idea!!

Now see Laurence, that pic of you is not that bad, on a rat killing scale of 1-10 I would only rate you at five! :what!: :s12137:

Sorry brother I couldn't resist that one. Well both I and my little dog hate rats so the less the better!

I have decided that we have a different flea market around here than other places. I will drop in once in a while and I always see that same junk I wasn't interested in that was there five months ago. However there is a barber shop there that always has a line inside and out!

"This is a Farmers Market with high end organic foods to sell to the poor folks that live in Malibu California, You want to get into the highest per capita income areas around you guys If you want to sharpen & sell knives in a Farmers Market setting" Look on the income level on the net of the areas around or near you.

Estimated median household income in 2012: $127,722 (it was $102,031 in 2000)
Malibu:$127,722
CA:$58,328

Malibu is over twice what the state has and a Condo there starts at about one million bucks."

I am going to assume by the pic you do most of your sharpening on the slack belt, am I correct in that assumption?

" Yes, I use Hermes superflex & 3M 15Micron belts and get excellent sharp slightly con vexed edged that last well on culinary knives."

I see you got the wrist wrapped so I am going to assume you got one of the wrists with the CTS operated on. How is that doing?
" This was two weeks after the surgery and I was attempting to keep the grinding dust out of the still closing wounds. I have much better sensation in the ring and pinky fingers after he decompressed the nerve at the elbow and less buzzing and tinging in the hand over all from getting the wrist decompressed. I haven't had the hand lockup and contort on me lately ether so I'm really happy about that.:35:

Last edited:
Back