Full Face respirators for beards

Noellaflamme

So, for the past few years I have been using a resp-o-rator while grinding since normal respirators don't work as well with beards, but recently I've been considering getting one of those full face mask ones where the seal is more on your neck than your face so a beard doesn't get in the way. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these? I have seen the really expensive powered versions and would prefer not to have to spend 1000 on one, but am willing to hear about any other options.
thanks
Noel

I think you’re talking about the powered ones (PAPR). I have one of those expensive ones but know they make some cheaper versions like the air trend pro.

I will say that they operate on positive pressure. There’s no actual seal around your neck, it’s not loose but not super tight either. But because air is being pumped into your face mask, the pressure inside is higher than outside and prevents anything from coming in. The air that is being pumped in slowly leaks out of all the slight openings around your head and neck, etc. They are the best choice for people with full beards (like myself) who won’t be able to get a seal on a regular style of respirator. My $0.02

I think you’re talking about the powered ones (PAPR). I have one of those expensive ones but know they make some cheaper versions like the air trend pro.

I will say that they operate on positive pressure. There’s no actual seal around your neck, it’s not loose but not super tight either. But because air is being pumped into your face mask, the pressure inside is higher than outside and prevents anything from coming in. The air that is being pumped in slowly leaks out of all the slight openings around your head and neck, etc. They are the best choice for people with full beards (like myself) who won’t be able to get a seal on a regular style of respirator. My $0.02
i will definitely check the air trend out then! how does the face shield part hold up over time?

Full face works with my beard. I really dislike wearing my contact lenses in the shop though, so most always wear my glasses and half face respirator.

I have no experience with the air trend, personally, but it is one I considered because of the price. The reason I chose against it was because it looked like it would be heavy with the motor and battery and everything on your head instead of strapped to your back.

My face shield has held up okay. It really depends on how well you take care of it. They sell some plastic that goes over the shield sort of like a screen protector for your phone. That way when it gets scratched up, you can just stick another one on and good to go.

Back