Fulton anvil ???

NJStricker

Hey guys,

I just found out my neighbor, who's 81, has decided to sell his anvil. It's been in his wife's family for 3 generations, and his boys aren't interested in it.

It has a cast body with a hardened face plate on top. The name Fulton is cast into the side in large block letters, otherwise there are no other marks. It runs about 125 lbs. The top is in good shape. Some dings from use around the edges, but I'd say the edges are 80%, and the rest is nice and flat with no dishing.

Do any of you have an idea where it might have been made, and what is a good price? His wife's grandfather bought it used in Ohio and took it back to West Virginia. She inherited it and brought it back here to Ohio.

I would suggest you contact Ken Scharobak on anvilfire.com or Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil association in Troy (they have a website also). Check the anvil for rebound and cracks, if these are ok, I would try to acquire it. A decent anvil gets harder to come by every day.

It is in "Anvils in America" the defenitive book on anvils. My copy is in the shop and I will look this up and post it.

"Anvils in America" THE book on anvils, written by Richard Postman says on page 225 in the American Cast Anvils section:
"FULTON
The name is cast in relief on the side. The anvils were made for Sears Roebuck and Company in the 1920. Producer unknown."

The picture in the book shows a 101 pound Fulton anvil. Because of the long slender heel and long slender horn it looks like a Trenton.
On page 33 Postman says, "By 1930 the Trenton anvils had a solid tool steel body arc welded to a low-carbon cast-steel base with a hardened Face." This sounds similar to your discription. This does not mean that the Fulton was made by Trenton, but maybe. Postman does not say anything about Trenton making anvils for any other companies. It could be that either Sears or the anvil maker liked the look of the Trenton and copied the style. Trenton anvils are known to "Ring like a bell". Try tapping it and see how much it rings.

Back