Gallstone surgery?

Cojab

I hate posting this here but I am asking as many people as I can for their experience. I had a gallstone attack a couple of months ago and was told I needed to scehdule to have it removed. Doing a little research I have found many differing opinions anywhere from they should have done it long ago to they wish they had never had done it.
I kind of of the feeling that if the good Lord saw fit to put it in me, it should stay. On the other hand I dont want to go through another attack. (Take my word for it, it sucks.)
Anybody have any experience with this they dont mind sharing?

I had mine out about eleven years ago after trying to avoid the surgery for about three
years with an extreme low fat diet and herbs. The first day after the surgery was very
unpleasant but I got better quickly after that. Went on a three week work/vacation to
Germany less than a month later and had a great time. All in all, I'm very glad I had it
out.

I've been fighting gallbladder dysfunction of some type for 4 years. Long story short, I gained 70 pounds and started up some very bad dietary habits in 2008 when I left a fairly active job, and soon had the "shot through with an arrow" attacks, and literally disabling diarrhea that made an out of the house job a near impossibility, and my acid reflux became ridiculously intense. At times I was feverish. My HIDA scan showed a problem with the ejection fraction, I don't remember the particular number but the physician and surgeon still refused to perform surgery, due to me being "not sick enough". So, as I was still insured but the hospital had basically said that this would be an "optional" or "convenience" and would likely not be covered I decided to make some severe changes. There was basically no cooperation from them on getting me diagnosed as at the time I was 26 and didn't fit any of the typical diagnostic or I believe social standards. I am currently doing fair to passible but it is still a fight and I wish I had pushed harder. I for one would suggest the procedure as I've had six friends or co-workers (many of whom are surprisingly young as well) go through it and it has either resolved or lessened the symptoms for them all.

Thank you both for the replies. Dan, was yours done laproscopically or the big cut. I hear that changes the healing process considerably.

Laproscopic (something like 4 little incisions), I'm sure the big cut would take *much* longer to heal.

Interestingly enough I had the same doctor for a hernia surgery about two years ago and he did that normally
because it holds better for the first such surgery. That also healed quickly, though not as quick as the laproscopy.
He's good -- I happily recommend him if you were planning to have it done in my area.

Back