GeneK's KITH Bowie

I was able to get the blades heat treated yesterday. I went ahead with the 1/8" blades, at least I'll get some practice on hamons with them. The hamons are there, just not sure how much activity is in them.

Excited to see what the hamons show.

I was able to get the blades heat treated yesterday. I went ahead with the 1/8" blades, at least I'll get some practice on hamons with them. The hamons are there, just not sure how much activity is in them.

Nice work. That cooling rack is a neat idea.

BJ I feel the same. There are some very talented people here.

But I'm planning on sticking it out. If my Bowie fails I have a couple of Bird and Trout's that look promising.

I think we all feel that way when we know another maker will be scrutinizing our work, but that's one of the reason I like these KITHs. We get input from another maker that will help us better our work, whether they are better or less skilled than you. Even a new maker may see things that will help improve your skills or design. And with the knife we receive, we get the opportunity to be able to help another maker or learn from a better maker.

I've seen some KITHs where you are required to have a certain skill level to enter. In my opinion, a KITH should be for the new makers and they should be encouraged to participate as I feel it is a great learning experience. You get to see everyone's processes they use to make their KITH knife and get input on yours. If you see something in a KITH thread that you have questions on, please ask. I'm sure we are all more than willing to explain the how and why of what we are doing. Or we may tell you that we don't have a clue, we are just winging it. (It happens, believe me. I'm getting pretty good at it.)

Thanks guys. I'm planning on sticking it out , regardless of my ramblings and feelings of inadequacy.
Gene , especially good comments. Thanks
BJ

Y'all are makin this ol boy rethinkin the whole KITH thing ! Talk about outclassed and in over ones head .. Sheesh.
I totally felt that way last year, even up to the point I mailed the thing so I get it. But this year I feel much better about what someone will be receiving and that feeling from last year is part of what has driven me to improve. So, its a good thing really. Do not get me wrong the big Bowie is a stretch for me but I have a back up Gyuto waiting in case I am not happy with my results. If I like the Bowie the gyuto will go up for sale to my normal peeps. If not, it will go to the recipient and I will keep the Bowie for me. Maybe it would help you guys feel better to make another knife well within your wheel house to have as a back up? It has surely made me feel better about stretching myself on the Bowie and not totally playing it safe, which I was tempted to do in the beginning. Just a thought.

Back