General idea on scrap yard steel

Noellaflamme

So I was down at my local metal scrap yard and noticed the large amount of steel that was the perfect size to make some hammers, and yes I know that it would be better to buy known stock, but is there a way of having any idea if the steel is hardenable at all?

Yes, best is a snap test (forge down a small piece and harden in oil and/or water. Carefully snap in a post vise), alternate is spark testing to get close.

Yes, best is a snap test (forge down a small piece and harden in oil and/or water. Carefully snap in a post vise), alternate is spark testing to get close.
That is all definitely doable, but is there anyway to tell at all while still in the scrap yard? Most pieces are pretty big.
One pallet of pieces looked prettt promising considering they seemed to be wrapped in aome sort of paper or cardboard... Maybe was planned to be some sort of shafting?

"IF" it's shafting steel it would most likely be good for hammers. You might as the yard if they have any idea of what the rods (I'm guessing it's rods?) were used for. Also, check with yard about a XRF handheld tool to analyze the material for carbon content. I found that carbon isn't detected by XRF so that's not a good option.

Oh interesting, ill have to ask if they have anything like that. And yeah next time ill hopefully have more time to check things out and ask about the shafting.
I also feel like there wouldn't be as much big round stock that seems to be machined that would be mikd as opposed to even medium carbon steels... But i may be completely wrong about that

Back