Gentleman's Hunter

David Roeder

I just finished this today. It doesn't have a home so ill keep it as a show knife for now.

This is a full size Gentleman's Hunter that I forged from 5160. 5 1/4" spear point blade, 10 1/2" O.A.L. Heat colored stainless guard and buttplate with brass spacers. Stabilized spalted Koa handle. I made my first knife here that has a threaded tang and I made the finial nut that holds it all together. This was a fun knife to make ! But it was suppose to be in Damascus.

I began this knife thinking originally for the blade and guard to be Damascus. I had a pile of Damascus bars I had already made on the bench, so I selected a bar that would fit the desired length. I forged it, ground it, heat treated and antsy with excitement to see the pattern I so I did a quick etch only to discover I had thrown a piece of 5160 by mistake in with the Damascus.
Well, even tho its not Damascus I still believe it turned out well.

After I received my J.S. this past January I have really been trying to increase my quality and expand options in my knives. I've really enjoyed myself. I love being a Knifemaker, and really am blessed to be able to do what I love.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 79
Good looking hunter David.
You may need to mark your steel and separate it. I've done the same thing myself so I bought a paint pencil and mark everything now.
Hows the new grinder working? Is this the first one from it?

Last edited:
Yes I'm using the new grinder now, and I do love it. I'm still using the Grizzly for the profiling and such. Kind of nice having two grinders. The first knife made with the new grinder was one I sent to Alaska.

I too just completed a blade that was supposed to be Damascus but if it is there is I'll bet not more than one fold with the same steel in each. Frank

Thanks David,did you apply heat with a torch or a forge and did you have to set it with oil ,l have wanted to try this and havnt yet stumbled upon a good method.Caswell plating sells a blackining kit but I have heard both good and bad and have no first hand experience.

After I received my J.S. this past January I have really been trying to increase my quality and expand options in my knives. I've really enjoyed myself. I love being a Knifemaker, and really am blessed to be able to do what I love.

I would say you definitely stepped up your game on this one! Awesome work1:35:

Back