Getting A new belt grinder but which one?

USMC_ROCKO

Hi guy's my name is Anthony also rocko of rockos custom knives, and I hve been using a craftsman 2x42 with platen mod to make all my knives, its a great machine but I want a machine that wont hurt my wallet . I mean I like the NWG and the KMG but I want something that is ready to go out of the box , I know its all over the forums just need everyones help so i can get a good one for the price that will last and be tough. I am really wanting a 2x72 but am also open to 2x48 belt grinders if you guys know of any that wont break the bank or need much mods to be a good knifemaking tool. :biggrin:

My first 2 X 72 grinder was a Coote Belt Grinder. Didn't break the bank and definitely upped my game. I now also have a variable speed Grinder in a box kit from Polar Bear Forge. I am in Waddell, AZ over by the Zoo on the 303.

cool i am in peoria,az . My cousin use to live out there. Anyway yeah i heard about the coote but som guys say it tracks bad and has a bad platen. I am not electically savy with wiring motors either. I mean idk

I've used a Coote for a few years now and I've never had any tracking problems nor would I call the platen bad. It's not as accessible as a three wheel grinder with a flat platen attachment but that would be the same as all two wheel grinders. It's far more expandable than any of the other two wheel grinders that I've seen out there and I haven't yet found anything that I couldn't find a way to do on my machine. I bought mine with the glass platen attached and a ten inch contact wheel.

I have found that removing and replacing the table to be a little inconvenient but it is only the matter of removing or adding four screws. I've never felt the need to remove the platen and would have to check my machine to see how it is done. There is enough unsupported belt above the platen for slack belt grinding.

Doug

I have never had any tracking problems with mine either. In fact I still use it a lot of the time. I to find the work table a little bit of a pain but I now only attach it with a pin instead of a bolt so I can take it off quicker. I also made it bigger and where it encompasses the belt so belt changes can be awkward trying to maintain a consistent angle but I have methods for making it work. I am starting to use my GIB more lately but I don't even have it set up permanently yet.

Rocko,
The Coote was my first Real Grinder and if you can make knife? You should be able to set up a grinder. www.cootegrinder.com I still have mine 15 years later. A 1 1/2 - 2HP motor and the pulleys with some link belt and your have enough to be a professional maker, as far as the grinder is concerned.
the rest is up to you.
Every machine has a few draw backs. Tracking is NOT one of them with the Coote.

Also Norman Coote is a great and helpful man. Call him with any questions.

My flagship grinder that I would buy again over 95% plus of the current stuff on the market budget allowing is my http://www.hardcore-products.com

Mine is machined Aluminum and is very quiet and smooth right out of the box!!!

They now make it in a cast Aluminum that is every bit as fine of a machine.
"Get the variable speed 1 1/2 - 2 HP" My machine has never even burped on me!

I had it rebuilt at a bit over 10 years of heavy almost daily use. The machine was fine!
It was the Baldor motor that took a dump on me and I told them to go through the grinder while they had it apart.

The other machine you might look at is the new TW-90 Google TW-90 and Travis's machine will come up. This and the Burrking are the two machines.
I would consider for a fourth machine in my shop. A Bader for the right price maybe?

I own and use a KMG in my shop too, but I personally wouldn't buy another because by the time I added all the upgrades I needed to it I was in the price range of buying another Hardcore grinder.

The one thing that the Bader/KMG configuration does better than the Hardcore or Coote is small wheel work due to have the belt wrap around the small wheel much tighter in angle.

So that's my 2 cents here on the Grinder question.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I purchased a used motor so I didn't even have to wire up an on/off switch for it. Pulley sleeves just slip on the shaft and you tighten down the set screw with an Allan wrench. I did have to wire up a switch on a blower that I purchased but that was easy. All off the shelf parts and the man down at Lowes gave me some great pointers. One the motor, make sure that its around 1700rpm and you can use a step cone pulley system. The link belts that Lawrence mentioned allow you to adjust the size of the belt. I just bolted everything down to some 1/2" plywood. Don't talk yourself into thinking that this is something hard. Just take things step by step and you will get through it.

Doug

ok thant sounds good, thank you guys for your input and I am really wanting a coote now . But On the road today thought of an idea for my craftsman 2x42 to be a better and more powerful grinder that i wont have to get a new one maybe. anyone remember wayne goddards $50 dollar knife shop , he built a grinder from a Baldor 3600 rpm bench grinder into a belt sander, now what if I took my frame , drive wheel and attached it to the baldor grinder and used that so it will be using the same belts and fram but better power with the baldor.

Rocko,
If you really want to make knives on a professional production level, Put that 2 x 48 aside and use it for some things and
get a Real Continuous duty 2 x72" Belt grinder & Variable speed or step pulley motor.
The 2 x 72" belts are a better deal and run cooler so the last longer, so you can make more knives for a lesser cost.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

2x72Ginder-V01sm.jpg
2x72Ginder-V02sm.jpg
Check out basic 3 wheel grinder from pheer grinders. Got my entry grinder from them without breaking the bank. Works great and the price let me get a 2x72 that while not my dream machine let's me work smarter while I save for it.

I also saved a few bucks by making the enclosure for my inexpensive VFD.

My shop is under the porch in the back yard and in South Florida the weather gets bad quick and all is still working fine after 7 months and half way thru hurricane season. It will rain in the back yard and be sunny in the front yard.

Last edited:
Hi Rocko

I have a Coote Grinder as well and if you look at his homepage it has all the upgrades you can do to the machine. It has a small whell attachment and a disc grinder that you put on the wheel and you have a pretty good machine. I have all the upgrades you dont need any tools to switch to the small wheel. Like a post up above said if you put a pin you can remove the table real fast.I started with the pullys but I have upgraded to a VSD also there are no tracking issues and the platten..Thier are so many choices it will be hard to decide ggod luck

I just bartered for a KMG PL-1, Rotary Platen and Small Wheel attachment, complete with the base plate and 1.5hp VS 110V motor :) Big upgrade from a Grizzly!!!

Back