GKimmi's 2020 KITH

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
I'm really excited to get started on this one for scherf68. Unfortunately, I have several on the bench to finish and I go in next Friday to have a disc replacement surgery on my neck. It will probably be a couple weeks before I really get started on it, but I sat down today to put a couple ideas on paper.

I will be making one of these 2 out of damascus. I'm thinking an 80 - 100 layer twist pattern or maybe twisted crushed w's. I'm leaning toward the top one, which is my Freedom model, because of the museum fit scales. I have been wanting to learn to do the scales this way as I haven't been happy with my results of etching the tangs on damascus blades or blades with a hamon that I have made.

I'm really excited to get started on this one for scherf68. Unfortunately, I have several on the bench to finish and I go in next Friday to have a disc replacement surgery on my neck. It will probably be a couple weeks before I really get started on it, but I sat down today to put a couple ideas on paper.

I will be making one of these 2 out of damascus. I'm thinking an 80 - 100 layer twist pattern or maybe twisted crushed w's. I'm leaning toward the top one, which is my Freedom model, because of the museum fit scales. I have been wanting to learn to do the scales this way as I haven't been happy with my results of etching the tangs on damascus blades or blades with a hamon that I have made.
Looking good!
Good luck on your neck surgery. I've considered disc replacement for both my back and neck. So I'd be interested in hearing how that goes for you.

Good luck with your surgery Gene. I had 3 discs removed and fused in 2018. I'm still not 100%. I definitely feel better than I did before the surgery though! Worst part after the surgery is trying to eat and swallow. I had about a week of applesauce, pudding and soup. My thoughts are with you!

Hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly. Either one of those will be great knives but I think I favor the bottom one.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery Gene. Hope it doesn't slow you down for long.
Both those drawings look great but I have to ask, what are museum fit scales?

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. If everything goes as the surgeon says, I shouldn't be down for long. It's an outpatient surgery and they will limit what I can lift to 20 - 25 lbs for 2 weeks, then I can do as I want. He says to go back to work as soon as I feel like it.

Back to the KITH. Museum or heirloom fit scales mean the scales are proud of the spine of the knife. They are usually done this way in case the wood shrinks or swells, making it not as noticeable. In my case, I will try to do it so I can etch the spine of the blade before final assembly of the scales to the blade.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery Gene. Hope it doesn't slow you down for long.
Both those drawings look great but I have to ask, what are museum fit scales?

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. If everything goes as the surgeon says, I shouldn't be down for long. It's an outpatient surgery and they will limit what I can lift to 20 - 25 lbs for 2 weeks, then I can do as I want. He says to go back to work as soon as I feel like it.

Back to the KITH. Museum or heirloom fit scales mean the scales are proud of the spine of the knife. They are usually done this way in case the wood shrinks or swells, making it not as noticeable. In my case, I will try to do it so I can etch the spine of the blade before final assembly of the scales to the blade.
Everything I read says that ferric Does not affect epoxy, so is it an option to dip after assembly? I think the wood is the only concern? Still learning and I am about to dip a finished knife to see what happens. I gotta know the answer.

Everything I read says that ferric Does not affect epoxy, so is it an option to dip after assembly? I think the wood is the only concern? Still learning and I am about to dip a finished knife to see what happens. I gotta know the answer.

On the few I have made, the ferric has discolored the wood. I have been taping the scales off, but always get a little ferric under the tape and never get as good of an etch on the spine as I do the blade.

On the few I have made, the ferric has discolored the wood. I have been taping the scales off, but always get a little ferric under the tape and never get as good of an etch on the spine as I do the blade.
I agree the way you are trying it is better, but I always wonder what would happen when the color wears off. Mine is a hidden tang and in theory I can dip it and avoid wood being touched if I am careful. I really want to try grinding some areas shiny on one and see if I like the contrast, but want to be able to fix it if I don’t like it.

Back