good steel for a chef knife

I made a new set if kitchen knives recently for the house from CPM S35vn in .070” thickness.
I hardened them to 61-62RC. The edge holding is decent and it can get reasonably sharp. Naturally my wife cut herself after I told her these were *really sharp - be careful”. She is more careful now.

These go thru the dishwasher and I had one of them flash rust. I will force a patina with some vinegar to see if I can knock that down. The next batch I make will I will look for a bit more chrome I think.

I made a new set if kitchen knives recently for the house from CPM S35vn in .070” thickness.
I hardened them to 61-62RC. The edge holding is decent and it can get reasonably sharp. Naturally my wife cut herself after I told her these were *really sharp - be careful”. She is more careful now.

These go thru the dishwasher and I had one of them flash rust. I will force a patina with some vinegar to see if I can knock that down. The next batch I make will I will look for a bit more chrome I think.

Low temper or high temper? Reason i ask is that elmax at 61.5 very happy at 12dps in a pro kitchen... so i have to wonder if you say reasonably sharp... are your standards exceptionally high or can the sharpening improve...

This is one I did 3/32" 01tool steel, no plunge grind, homemade Mosaic pin, mahogany scales, acid and stone tumbled. Fun project!

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_59201.jpg
    IMG_20180907_59201.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
Low temper or high temper? Reason i ask is that elmax at 61.5 very happy at 12dps in a pro kitchen... so i have to wonder if you say reasonably sharp... are your standards exceptionally high or can the sharpening improve...

Low temper.

Not exceptionally high sharpening standards but I think there are some other steels that get sharper and stay sharper longer from my experience. S35 is a great all around high performance stainless. I don’t hesitate to use it but I also think there are some other steels that outperform it, usually at a significantly higher price.

Boss - knives in the dishwasher? You got S35V to rust? I wouldn't say my S35V blades are "surgical" sharp but they do shave arm hair in one swipe and hold an edge pretty good. Maybe a tad better than AEB-L which is what most of my kitchen knives are.

Low temper.

Not exceptionally high sharpening standards but I think there are some other steels that get sharper and stay sharper longer from my experience. S35 is a great all around high performance stainless. I don’t hesitate to use it but I also think there are some other steels that outperform it, usually at a significantly higher price.
That is the truth aebl and O1 and k490 i can get sharper than elmax, and stable but the difference is way beyond what normal people even remotely consider discernible...

My prefered way to sharpen is to apex on 1000grit diamond at about 10deg then strop edge trailing on 2000 wet stone and then on 8000 wetstone and then a compound loaded stroo very light pressure on all of these sonit ends up with a 12-ish dps micro bevel and is quite nice... so if you can see the difference between that and better steels, i think your sharpening standards are quite high...

Back