Grain direction in steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you know but I know if you make a blade that has its cutting edge across the rolled direction it with give a far superior cutting edge. As much as 20% better.I picked this up from the writings of a now past maker whose name I cannot remember and then tested it out myself. He used carbon steel; I used Ats34. Frank

Say what you know but I know if you make a blade that has its cutting edge across the rolled direction it with give a far superior cutting edge. As much as 20% better.I picked this up from the writings of a now past maker whose name I cannot remember and then tested it out myself. He used carbon steel; I used Ats34. Frank

Hi Frank,
If you can find this literature describing This 20% please PM me of post it here. I would love to read it.

Thanks.
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence

Mmmmm, me thinks you need to do a wee bit more homework on basic metallurgy. Lesson one. Groups of atoms make up crystals. Groups of crystals make up grains. groups of grains make up the steel.

This is for Doug and then for LBR.
You are incorrect and should do more research before making rude comments.

Stainless Steel HAS Molecules. The order is Sub atomic, Atoms, molecules and then Crystals.

Here is one of many places it is stated. Type in Does Stainless Steel have molecules?

Stainless steel
In metallurgy , stainless steel, also known as inox steel or inox from French " ... size of the steel and oxide molecules they bond very strongly ...
31 KB (4,103 words) - 19:34, 21 September 2012

Wikipedia

Cheers

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Sorry if I seemed rude, but there are still no molecules in metals. Never believe Wikipedia without further research. Anyone can post answers there, and Wikipedia does not check them out. Find a physics forum and ask about it.

Sorry, all the texts that I have say that metals has crystals, not molecules, and these are texts that are written by people who have doctorates in metallurgy. I've also posted what the difference is. There may well be oxide molecules but there are no steel molecules, but you are perfectly free to believe what you want. It makes no difference to me, but I'm not going to say that you're right just because it makes you unhappy that I don't. By the way, if I'm ever rude to you, you will won't have to wonder about it.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back