Grinder motor died. In a quandary which direction to go, VFD or?

You need to be careful with metal grinding dust on that motor - looks like it's an open frame motor being "drip proof" and won't prevent metal dust from entering. You might be able to rig a dust shield that will help, but not prevent.

ok, reviving a slightly old thread here.

I've got a 1.5hp WEG for my NWG and it's time to take the VFD plunge. I only have a 110 circuit to run this on.

I'm looking at this KBAC: KB Electronics, 9520, KBAC-27D (Gray), 1.5;2HP, 1-Phase, 110-120V;200-240V (Input), Nema 4X Enclosure, Variable Frequency Drives
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AOCLIE...olid=2XJ6ZFXV1D45F&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm not an electrical expert but I think this looks right for my setup?

Thanks
Chris

ok, reviving a slightly old thread here.

I've got a 1.5hp WEG for my NWG and it's time to take the VFD plunge. I only have a 110 circuit to run this on.

I'm looking at this KBAC: KB Electronics, 9520, KBAC-27D (Gray), 1.5;2HP, 1-Phase, 110-120V;200-240V (Input), Nema 4X Enclosure, Variable Frequency Drives
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AOCLIE...olid=2XJ6ZFXV1D45F&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm not an electrical expert but I think this looks right for my setup?

Thanks
Chris
Yep. That's the one I bought. I initially cringed at the price, but it is well worth the money. You won't regret it.

ok cool. I was thinking it looked almost the same as the one you bought, but I thought the model was slightly different

1.5hp motor and a vfd and run it on 110v
This is exactly what my new Pheer grinder runs on. I have only had it for a couple of weeks but I can tell you it is all I will ever need. I chose to go with a 6” drive wheel and take speed over an extra .5 hp. I think I get over 5,000 SFPM on WO. The motor is a 1.5 horse Marathon motor made in the USA. It has a dust proof stainless steel cover and can be wired for 220 or 110 so I run it on 110. I also have it on a Kbac 27d. Pheer has a video on how to wire the whole thing on their site. I have ground a couple of knives so far and it will hawg running on 80% with a 50 grit belt.

Last edited:
I think I get over 6,000 rpm on WO
Do you mean "6,000 SFPM? Normally 5K is about max rpm for a motor, and I like holding to not much more than 4K. With a 6" drive wheel and a 1750 rpm motor using the doubler jumper for 3500 rpm motor speed would put you right at 5500 SFPM belt speed. You're right, that speed will really make ceramic belts work and remove some metal!

Do you mean "6,000 SFPM? Normally 5K is about max rpm for a motor, and I like holding to not much more than 4K. With a 6" drive wheel and a 1750 rpm motor using the doubler jumper for 3500 rpm motor speed would put you right at 5500 SFPM belt speed. You're right, that speed will really make ceramic belts work and remove some metal!
Thats what I meant, thanks. I would like to hear one run 6,000 RPM though.

Last edited:
Back