Grinder speed controller?

gull wing

I have an old JK Grinder, single speed.
How would I go about installing a speed controller? Is is as simple as buying one from the knife supply houses and installing it?? Not an electrician!!

1 1/2 HP Baldor 110V

You will have to have a 3 phase motor and a VFD. I suggest that you make sure and get a VFD with a NEMA 4X enclosure and a TEFC motor. These will keep the metal grindings out of your electrical equipment. If you buy from me, including the wiring kit I include my 1 page instructions for wiring and setting up the motor and VFD. Check my web site for more info or send me an e-mail. If you want to chat call me.

My understanding is that Wayne is the go to guy to get variable speed on your grinder.
You might seel you 1 1/2 motor to help offset the cost also.

if you hunt the internet, you should be able to find an industrial grade inverter(110/220 input with 3 phase 220 output)that also has a variable frequency function for $200 or less(I just bought a 3hp Leeson for $150 delivered. then shop and you can find industrial grade motor to go with it for $200 or less. there are many places on line that sell last years model for less than 1/2 of current model. we are talking motors and motor controls, not computers. very little has changed in the way motors are made(other than some companies moving their factories off shore to save a buck) in the last 50 years. should be able to find someone help you do the wiring, wow, 7 wires. the book that comes with the inverter will show you exactly how to wire it and there will be a picture on the motor also.

Back