Grinder Speed

R

rgoad

Hey all I have been building a grinder based off the no weld grinder and a few others. I have a 1.5 hp motor that runs at 1725 rpms. My question is how important is variable speed on the belt. I have step pulleys but was really thinking about going to a direct drive setup. Whats you thoughts? Thanks in advance.

It is not a lot more trouble to make it with the step pulleys and is is well worth it. I worked for about 10 years with direct drive and can not believe how much I missed out on. Also the speed motor you have is good for "adjustable speed" and would be to slow on direct drive. MHO based on experience.

Like Wayne said, go with the step pulleys, later you will be glad you did. You will find that different speeds will come in handy when you change from grinding the blade to grinding the handle, etc.

Larry

With a 3 step pulley system (which I own):

Fast: Hog off material
Medium: Grind bevels, etc.
Slow: Finish work

IMHO.

BC

Thanks guys I knew I bought those pulleys for a good reason.

Like the others, I think tha variable speed of some kind is the cat's meow. I worked on a direct drive Grizzly for years before going to a fully VS KMG, and I can't tell you how much difference it can make.

--nathan

Back