Grinder Trouble

will man

Hello All,
I have a JL grinder that decided to shed the lower (1.5 ") contact wheel. It spun off the axle assembly, out the shop door and ended up in the middle of the back yard! It looked like one of the bearing had failed so I pressed in two R6 bearing and put it back together and ran it. This time it spun the rubber of the aluminium insert and the bearing were hot again. I tried epoxy and then high temp RTV to hold the rubber on but it still overheats and fails. Everything appears to be in line and before this the grinder had been working great.

I used R6 bearings because they were the correct dimension and from the specs would take the RPM, was this a bad idea? I can't figure out why this thing keeps overheating! It's a fixed speed 1725 RPM. I'm thinking of making a solid aluminum wheel and see what happens but would appreciate any ideas before I do it.

TIA,
Bryan

Hi Les,
It does spin free without load and as far as I can tell, there is no way to over tighten the bearings. It appears that it's the press fit of the bearings to the shaft that holds the wheel on. I'll get some pics of what's left tomorrow morning...providing I don't run it thru the bandsaw between now and then!
Bryan

OK, made a new wheel from solid aluminium and it works fine. So it's not the replacement bearings. After a closer look, I think that when the original bearings failed it caused enough of a difference in the ID of the bore to create some sort of side loading which caused the overheating and spun the rubber off. I didn't realize how much I depend on this grinder for misc. shop stuff unitl it wasn't working.

Back