Grinder Woes

Murph, I have that one saved as a favorite for some day in the future! Seems like that would also be a good time to put a smaller drive wheel on it to reduce the sfpm.

Murph, I have that one saved as a favorite for some day in the future! Seems like that would also be a good time to put a smaller drive wheel on it to reduce the sfpm.
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive still got it where i can run the smaller belt as well. Mine actually tracks the smaller belts better now than it did before.
I havent run across a smaller drive wheel yet but ive got my eyes peeled and will let you know when i come up with something.

I cut the guards off mine so I could run leather and scotchbrite belts. They just get in the way, +1 on getting a better platen face.

Update: good news, Ive got a ceramic platen on now.

Bad news, my trugrit order arrived and the 3m belts were too thick to clear the guard. Aagh!
So I cut the guard off just enough for good clearance with enough left for strength since the guard is the housing for the wheel assembly ... hate doing stuff like that. I don't get why they're not made with enough clearance to accommodate belts thicker than AO.

Good news, now I'm almost finished with wife's knife!

I was thinking about ordering some from Trugrit today actually... how long did it take for them to ship them?

I could be way out on this but have you tried to crown your top wheel. Use masking tape for sure. If it works, it will last for years. Frank

I could be way out on this but have you tried to crown your top wheel. Use masking tape for sure. If it works, it will last for years. Frank

Frank, I would like to learn more about "crown your top wheel." Will that help with vertical alignment between the top and bottom wheels? Seems like no matter what I do, the belt slides left (inboard) on the bottom wheel.

Now that I've cut the guard and put a platen on it, its clearly not going back to Sears, so if there's anything else I can do to tweak it, I'm all ears. The platen wasn't square horizontally (has vertical adjustment) so I still need to put that in a vise and bend it a little. I'd also like to figure out a self-adjusting tracking screw for the top wheel.

Back