Grizzly G0704 Mill Tool

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
If you own a Grizzly G0704 Benchtop milling machine, you know full well how frustrating changing collets/tooling can be... mainly due to the way it's setup, with that little hole in the quill/shaft, where you're suppose to insert that straight "tool" that comes with the machine, to keep it from rotating while you loosen the draw bolt..... and it never works. I came up with this a while ago, but realized I'd never shared it....

I purchased a $6 pair of channel lock pliers from HF, and then turned down a "pin" to the correct size for that hole in the quill/shaft, and the problem was solved..... here are pics.....hope it's helpful!

IMG-5288.jpg

IMG-5289.jpg

IMG-5450.jpg

IMG-5451.jpg

Jesse: I've never used the ER collets/holder, but have looked at them several times. Maybe you can answer a question about them.... do they have enough"room" to use a bit size that is slightly larger then the collet is identified to hold? In other words, can a 1/8" ER collet be used for a #30 drill bit? Or even a smaller (#31)? Sometime I run into situations where I need to drill a precise hole on the mill, OR I find a bargain on something like 7/64" end mills....that have a 7/64" shank....... but don't have a R8 collet that will work, even though I have R8 collets in 1/64" increments....just would like to know if the ER collets can fill that void? If that's possible, it might mean that a person wouldn't need as many ER collets to cover the same range of uses as R8s.

Ed, my er25 collet set has 14 collets from 1/16 to 5/8". I use the 1/16" to clamp a #55 drill for detents. I use them for all my folder drill sizes #55 through #41. The 1/8" will grip the 30 and 31. Not saying all drills will fit, but the only one I've tried that wouldn't is a 9/64. I use 9/64 endmills but they have a 3/16 shank.

Awesome idea Ed!! I will be making 1 of these for sure. Any ideas for the draw bar?? I think I'm going to weld a larger nut on the top and ad a thrust washer bearing (saw the bearing on YouTube somewhere?) to the set up so I can use a powered screwdriver to loosen the collets!

Last edited:
Ed, my er25 collet set has 14 collets from 1/16 to 5/8". I use the 1/16" to clamp a #55 drill for detents. I use them for all my folder drill sizes #55 through #41. The 1/8" will grip the 30 and 31. Not saying all drills will fit, but the only one I've tried that wouldn't is a 9/64. I use 9/64 endmills but they have a 3/16 shank.
Thanks Jesse! Great info, and just what I was thinking the answer would be. I know I'll be getting a set for the big knee mill in my hot shop..... but thinking about sticking with the R8s for the G0704.....just for clearance reasons...... One of the jobs it does for me is the cutouts in blades for my stop pins.... I use a stationary stop pin, and a slot in the blade..... I hold, move the blades by hand with a 7/64" mill......need all these clearance these fat fingers can get! :)

Awesome idea Ed!! I will be making 1 of these for sure. Any ideas for the draw bar?? I think I'm going to weld a larger nut on the top and ad a thrust washer bearing (saw the bearing on YouTube somewhere?) to the set up so I can use a powered screwdriver to loosen the collets!
I built a crowsfoot wrench, that fits the square on the drawbar, then welded a 3/8 socket to it.... so I can use a 3/8 ratchet. If a guy could ever find a square socket that fits, that would be the ticket. I tried once to make a socket that fit the drawbar..... I wasted a whole day, and it turned out to be a train wreck. :)

I built a crowsfoot wrench, that fits the square on the drawbar, then welded a 3/8 socket to it.... so I can use a 3/8 ratchet. If a guy could ever find a square socket that fits, that would be the ticket. I tried once to make a socket that fit the drawbar..... I wasted a whole day, and it turned out to be a train wreck. :)
I hear ya nothing like spending the better part of a day thinking your solving a problem just to end up where you were at the start!

The tools for both these problems are already made.
For the quill they make a pin spanner wrench or a hook spanner wrench.
For the draw bar they make 8 point sockets, 12 point sockets (fit but may slip easily), square drive sockets, and perhaps if you are lucky a tap socket may fit as well.
Ed, your idea was much more creative, economical, and who doesn't like to made a few tools when needed.

I've been investigating the various size/types of the ER collets/holders. Since Jesse mentioned them, I purchase a set of ER 32 for my big knee mill....but it was too big to use on the G0704. I'm poking around now, trying to find a good price on a set of either ER 11 or ER 16 collets/holder. It's not a "must have", but it would be more convenient for the smaller mill, and my applications for it.

Back