Grizzly Grinder super fast/super hot!

bmills

I have just started grinding blades on smaller bird and trout type knives with a thickness of .125 and man do they get hot quick even without trying to hog metal off. I know I probably don't have the best belts so I am taking it slooooooow!

Understand I'm not whining, I feel fortunate to have the Grizzly, as others have made some awesome knives with far less. With that said, can someone suggest some types and grits of belts that I should be using?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

Lots of ideas - hopefully a couple help.

• Belts are a huge part of keeping things cool. (Disclaimer - I sell belts but can't sell outside Canada) The suggestion to use belts like they are free rings true. A dull belt is just 72" of frustration.
  • You mention you are grinding slow. Many belts like to be worked hard - and break off fresh sharp grains to keep them going.
  • Some belts are expensive per belt (like high quality ceramics) but are much cheaper in the end because they last so long.
  • Heat is not necessarily a big problem before heat treat. If you can find video of the late, great Bob Egnath, you see him grinding blades that appear red hot. After HT, it only takes a moment of heat to kill a blade - particularly a thin tip.
  • Dip often to keep a blade cool. Many makers dip after each pass. Good habit,
  • Burned fingers are painful and they can cause a flinch that can destroy a blade in a heartbeat, Gloves are dangerous, but I've been playing with Laurence's Rhino Skin finger protectors. I'm finding them safe - tactile and protective.

Just some starting points to deal with heat.

Rob!

Back