Guard for full tang knife

opaul

I was looking at this beautiful knife by Walter Brand. I am at a loss as how he builds a full tang knife with a one piece guard. At first I thought it was a two piece bolster type construction but the photo clearly shows a one piece guard. Anyone know how it’s done?
B01A34D8-8680-4EAD-80BD-305736ED372E.jpeg

so, on a bowie that I made recently it was a full tang setup. I later decided I wanted a mokume gane guard instead of a bolster. So I cut off the extra material that was making the tang too wide for the guard. Then I put the guard on and then welded the old piece of tang back on. All the welds were hidden by the handle and I ground and sanded them perfectly level.

I don't know if that is what he did here but maybe?

Lats year Kev and I swapped on the KITH and decided to make frame handle knives. Kev posted some nice pics of how it was done.

Is it just the light or does it look like there is a "center shadow" on the lower lobe of the guard?

I do a lot of guards like that using a framed handle. I make them with a steel frame just so people will wonder how I got the guard in place. Its funny you should mention it though because I was toying with making De-Mo’s KITH that a way so I can share my method.

I do a lot of guards like that using a framed handle. I make them with a steel frame just so people will wonder how I got the guard in place. Its funny you should mention it though because I was toying with making De-Mo’s KITH that a way so I can share my method.
That would be awesome!

Back