Guard or no guard? What do you think would work for this blade?

Fred Rowe

I can't decide. Would this look better with a guard, what kind, or no guard at all. The bade is 7 inches from shoulders to tip.

What do you think would work for this blade?

Fred
DSC01716.JPG

DSC01710.JPG

DSC01713.JPG

That is one nice feather pattern blade Mr. Rowe. I'm sure that however you decide to finish it will be nice. My minds eye sees it one of two ways. Either a slight S-shaped Damascus guard with a Blackwood handle or an S-shaped Wrought guard with some nice Ironwood. Like I said, I'm sure whatever you decide on will be nice and I can't wait to see it when finished. Hope you don't mind the material suggestions.

Guard, i always like guards. That blade is awsome,i was thinking copper guard and some iron wood............ thats just me, you rock that bad boy however you want its your sweat!!! and it looks great so far.

Normally a solution comes to mind as the blade is being forged and ground, but not with this blade. Sadly my attempts at drawing, other than stick people, is dismal. Actually hilarious! Thats why this post.
Also, I've never ground this style of blade and have no past reference.

Some of my best builds came from other makers suggestions. There is something very satisfying about throwing something out there and having people toss it around and in the process a solution is found.

The suggestion to focus on the handle is a good direction to take. I also like the idea of an abbreviated s guard. I don't want to overpower the blade design with a big imposing guard.

Thanks for posting your impressions and suggestions they will help me to pull this knife together, Fred

I know you said you don't want to overpower the blade with an imposing guard, but I think a D-guard could look really good with that blade...especially if you have some more damascus to do it out of. : ) Just my two bits.

Isn't the Blade designed to accept a Guard as is?

I can not picture the way the Handle without a Guard will mate up to the Ricaso

Isn't the Blade designed to accept a Guard as is?

I can not picture the way the Handle without a Guard will mate up to the Ricaso

The ricasso does have shoulders so will accept anything with a slot in it. I'll take it that your impression is with a guard. and not without. I'm with you in that first impressions are many times the best and most sound course of action.
I've used this solution for a guard less blade with shoulders.

amc.jpg

I'd go with something nice and simple like a single guard in polished or satin stainless, brass or nickel, pair it up with some nice straight grained wood and I think it would really highlight the damascus.

It needs a simple damascus guard with a damascus frame and blue mammoth scales, there is a simple solution to your problem, just put it in a box and send it to me and I will worry about it, great blade, what ever you do it will look great . Deane

Thanks for that Picture, Fred. now I see how it can be done
Yes, I was voting for a Guard with that Blade
The ricasso does have shoulders so will accept anything with a slot in it. I'll take it that your impression is with a guard. and not without. I'm with you in that first impressions are many times the best and most sound course of action.
I've used this solution for a guard less blade with shoulders.

amc.jpg

Back